4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Update on my problematic 2003. It gets worse.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 PM
sliek0722
2nd Gear Member

Default Update on my problematic 2003. It gets worse.

For those of you that don't know I just bought a poorly maintained 2003 with 52k miles on it. Got it for a steal at 9k though. You can read about it here: https://mustangforums.com/m_4715828/tm.htm

I took the car to a mechanic today to have him completely look it over. This was his diagnostic and repair cost (with parts and labor). Want to know how good the prices are and if there's any of this I can do myself (Note: I am NOT mechanically inclined and I only have very basic tools). Prices include parts and labor.

-I need a new clutch. He said my clutch is very high and will probably last another 10k miles. $300.

-As far as the synchronizers go with my second gear grinding, he said he won't know until gets the transmission out. but it said if they're shot then I might as well buy a used transmission instead of doing a rebuild because rebuilding the entire shaft all the way to second gear is a good $1000.

-Transmission is leaking fluid. I need new seals. $100 assuming I do it with the clutch job.

-Need a new power window motor. $100.

-Need a coolant flush. $40

-Need new air filter and fuel filter. $50.

-Recommended new spark plugs. $100.

-Need new windshield wipers. $20.

-New bulb for the dash behind the AC controls - $40.

-New oil change with synthetic oil - free if I do all the work above.

$800 right there. And that's not including all the money I need to spend cleaning and detaling my car. I'm starting to feel like I didn't get such a great deal afterall.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 PM
IIGood

Default RE: Update on my problematic 2003. It gets worse.

$800 for all that? That doesn't seem too bad, considering. Especially the clutch job...$300 for the parts and labor?? I've heard it can be much, much more expensive than that.

But...$40 for a light bulb change? If you knew how ridiculously easy it is to get to the heater controls, you would hate yourself for spending that much for someone else to do it.

Windshield wipers...eh, $20 is about right. Maybe less if you go buy 'em yourself. They take 5 minutes to put on.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

You are telling us you cant do 90% of that stuff yourself? I understand the clutch but wipers and filters? And if your clutch is high tell it to stop the wacky weed or atleast share. If this is a machanic that you don't know I wouldn't believe a words he said.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:04 PM
sliek0722
2nd Gear Member

I could do the air filter. I don't even know where the fuel filter is.

I don't know if I could do the power window motor. I did a search and heard that's a tough job.

I don't know how to remove the dash unit by the AC controls. Don't see any screws.

I only see three spark plugs.. they look really hard to get to. I could attempt it myself but #1 like I said, they're hard to get to, #2 I don't have tools, #3 they are the original factory plugs meaning they will be a bitch to get loose and take out.

I could try the wipers but those can be tough for someone who doesnt know how to put them on

I could try a coolant flush myself but not sure how to do that either.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

ive never heard anyone say a clutch was high.
unless he's talking about the miles, in which to that i say my 98 f150 has 296xxx miles with the original clutch/tranny/motor.
i agree with bramas tho most of that you should be able to do yourself. fuel and air filters are insanely easy, you'll need a jack for the fuel tho. the bulb might take a while just to pull out the panel but its very straight forward and like stated above, you'd kick urself in the rear later if you knew how easy it was. wipers are also extremely easy. go buy some from autozone for 5.99 a piece for medium quality ones and they throw them on for free.

now the flush and clutch should be done by a mechanic if you dont arent very inclined. but the plugs you should be able to do yourself, if you have the tools needed.

id suggest take it to another mechanic and have them check everything again and tell them what this guy said, maybe you'll get something different.

best of luck to you!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:11 PM
sliek0722
2nd Gear Member

What he meant by the clutch being high is since it's worn, the clutch engages the gears much higher up when you let off the pedal. He said my tranny doesn't engage the engine until I almost completely release the clutch instead of mid-way like a new clutch with lots of pad would.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

im pretty sure that can be adjusted with an adjustable clutch quadrant.
altho im no manual guru, dont know much of anything about them.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:43 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Invest in a Ford Factory Manual (see ebay) because you are going to need it [8D]
Do the simple stuff yourself and learn as you go along.

All things considered, I agree with the other guy that $800.00 is a pretty decent price for all that work.
He's soaking you on the bulb and some other minor stuff but the OVERALL price is not bad.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

yea...dealership would charge you 700 for a clutch install, and thats if you provide your own clutch....so 800 isnt bad at all
Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

plugs, wipers, clutch and filters are just basic maintainance that has to be done. The tranny part does suck tho.

All things aside from the clutch, can be done VERY EASILY! Go buy a Haynes/Chilton manual and get to work!

Quick Reply: Update on my problematic 2003. It gets worse.