4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How To: make mach or bullit gauges work in a GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:30 PM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

Default How To: make mach or bullit gauges work in a GT

Belowe is a how to on swapping the circuit boards on a gt cluster to make Mach1/Bullit gauge clusters perfom correctly in a GT. Basically the circuit board holds all the information for the PATS system or the theft system and if you try to put in a different cluster with another board in it your car will not start so just swap em out and your gauges will work.

Myself and Mustang Forums do not take responsibility for any broken or shorted out circuits and or gauges. Perform this at your own risk. But if done correctly you will not be dissapointed.

Removing the stock cluster

1. Begin by removing the headlight **** this can be tricky but it does come off. Pull the headlight **** out and locate the open groove on one side. Take a small screw driver and pry up on the small metal tab located inside of the groove at the same time pull the **** out and off.

2. Remove the cluster bezel by taking out the two torx screws located at the top of the bezel and then gently pulling back on the bezel releasing the small plastic/metal tabs securing it to the dash.

3. Remove the cluster from the car by taking out the four torx screws located in the corners and then the connectors from both sides of the rear of the cluster.

Swapping the Circuit Boards

1. take your Mach/Bullit and your stock gt clusters and flip em over gauges down and remove the 6 gold torx screws holding the white covers on.

2. Take the white covers off and put em aside for now, next you'll want to carefully remove the speedo connector that is on the bottom center of the clusters.

3. After removing the speedo connecter carefully begin to pry upwards on a corner of the circuit borad (be careful not to touch the circuits just the corners) and work your way around the outside of the board unti it is not attached to the gauges anymore. Repeat this step for both clusters do not get them mixed up.

You should now have them seperated

4. Take the board that was in your GT cluster and place it behind the Mach/Bullit Gauges and press down gently around the edges until it rests firmly on the tabs for the gauges

repeat this step for the opposite cluster.

5. Reattach the speedo connector (be sure to align all the tabs for the connector before pressing it on to prevent any bent tabs. And finally reattact the white cover to both clusters.

6. Install the Mach/Bullit cluster in the car and test for proper lighting.
Put your surround and headlight **** back on and your done enjoy your new gauges.

Doing this will retain your mileage and prevent you from having to get your keys reprogrammed at the dealer. This trick will more than likely also work on any gauge swap i.e. cobra, roush, autometer etc.
Note the clusters from the 5 speed mach 1's have a higher Redline therefore installing it in a Gt as i did will give you a false redline on the tach, The automatic Machs have the same redline as the GTs also the mach1 clusters say premium fuel only and the bullits do not the bullit clusters do however possess the propper redline but have the black surround and not the silver.
I hope this helps someone

Old 03-15-2008, 09:32 AM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: How To: make mach or bullit gauges work in a GT

Nice write up. Pretty sweet looking gauges. Someone should add this to the How To Sticky.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:56 PM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

thanks man i searched for 2 days tryin to find how to swap these boards and i couldnt find it anywhere. the gauges are awesome but they dont light up bright enough.... maybe i can swap the bulbs for leds or something
Old 04-11-2008, 11:31 AM
99mustang38or46
1st Gear Member

would this work for a V6 to a GT cluster swap? 120 mph to 150 mph I doubt it but had to ask!
Old 04-12-2008, 09:39 AM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

iim not 100% positive on this because i have never tried this
Old 04-12-2008, 09:17 PM
jpickett07
1st Gear Member

I have a 04 GT, would this work if i wanted the cobra cluster
Old 04-13-2008, 07:06 AM
02TorchRedGT
1st Gear Member

The 03/04 Cobra cluster won't take the GT board...They are completely different boards.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:27 AM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

+1 and why would you need a boost gague in an n/a gt
Old 04-13-2008, 10:24 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Great post!

Just the part about getting the headlight **** off is worth it's weight in gold for anyone who has tried and couldn't figure it out.

This should be a sticky IMHO.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:57 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

I thought the bullit gauge cluster was a direct bolt in for a GT seeing as how they are both 2 valves. Good write up none the less

Quick Reply: How To: make mach or bullit gauges work in a GT