4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Drilled VS Slotted Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:26 PM
01GTpony
1st Gear Member

Default Drilled VS Slotted Rotors

Anyone know what is better for street use???
Old 03-16-2008, 07:33 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Default RE: Drilled VS Slotted Rotors

I just bought a SSBC slotted rotor/pad set for my Cobra.. drilled/slotted would be the best for anything, but either/or will still do well too.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:36 PM
ATFPat
2nd Gear Member

Just ordered a set of front rotors that are drilled and slotted. Once my back ones go I ll switch em out as well. I actully had a set of drilled/slotted rotors on my foxbody. Things seemed to last forever and held up pretty good. + they look nice.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:48 AM
grubiaco

I personally prefer just slotted because they definately get the job done and they are less prone to cracking.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:01 AM
isjoining
3rd Gear Member

don't need either for just street use.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:11 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well for street, stockers are generally fine. Me I upgraded everything to the 13"/11" Cobra brake package, then bought some drill/slotted rotors. Drilled/slotted rotors grab extremely well, especially with the Cobra kit. Only bad thing about them is they will eat the crap out of your brake pads and they can't be resurfaced if they warp, so in short, they're a one time only deal that will make you buy pads more often. Good things are they allow you to stock a lot better, and set off the car's appearance better.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:49 AM
dickwitham
1st Gear Member

drilled / slotted only serve the purpose of looking good...they don't enhance braking in any way. Why do you think NASCAR drivers don't use them? Normal vented rotors are fine for street use.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

I know how this sounds..i really do- but my uncle is one of the engineers at Brembo. I asked him this same question- and i got more than i bargained for with a 1 hour conversation on brake rotors and pads...i'll tell you the rundown.

When you cross drill rotors- each hole is one less area the brake pad has to bite on- in short cross drilled rotors suck,will increase your stopping distance, and are useless because brakestoday don't even need the use ofdrilledrotors tovent. He told mefor serious braking, and best pedal feel stayaway from drilled. he also told medrilled rotors WILL crack in a severe raceenviroment and that with thedrilled rotors they sell- they warnon their site not to use it in a race application (maybe someone can also check this on their site)and he told me that even porsche admits- they do it only for looks.

Then on to drilled slotted. he said only a moron would run these..not only are you drilled losing braking surface, your slotted between the drills, and that there just as bad if not worse than drilled rotors.

He informed with any of the two above- he is absolutley certain no one feels a diffrence with drilled, and especially drilled/slotted unless there original rotors were worn- and that ppl with drilled rotors are suffering a LOSS not a gain and would recieve better performance from O.E than drilled.

For best braking, and a diffrence your most likely to feel- get slotted rotors. He told me he believed every car should come with slotted. The slots bite into the pad, causing friction, and the slots themselves also help remove any heat. he told me slotted rotors are the ONLY choice in rotors
and i believe him because he was important enough to be taken to Germany to work with other engineers. won't see me in any more drilled and especiallly not drilled slotted..thats that much less surface area to brake on.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:09 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jbauer

I know how this sounds..i really do- but my uncle is one of the engineers at Brembo. I asked him this same question- and i got more than i bargained for with a 1 hour conversation on brake rotors and pads...i'll tell you the rundown.

When you cross drill rotors- each hole is one less area the brake pad has to bite on- in short cross drilled rotors suck,will increase your stopping distance, and are useless because brakestoday don't even need the use ofdrilledrotors tovent. He told mefor serious braking, and best pedal feel stayaway from drilled. he also told medrilled rotors WILL crack in a severe raceenviroment and that with thedrilled rotors they sell- they warnon their site not to use it in a race application (maybe someone can also check this on their site)and he told me that even porsche admits- they do it only for looks.

Then on to drilled slotted. he said only a moron would run these..not only are you drilled losing braking surface, your slotted between the drills, and that there just as bad if not worse than drilled rotors.

He informed with any of the two above- he is absolutley certain no one feels a diffrence with drilled, and especially drilled/slotted unless there original rotors were worn- and that ppl with drilled rotors are suffering a LOSS not a gain and would recieve better performance from O.E than drilled.

For best braking, and a diffrence your most likely to feel- get slotted rotors. He told me he believed every car should come with slotted. The slots bite into the pad, causing friction, and the slots themselves also help remove any heat. he told me slotted rotors are the ONLY choice in rotors
and i believe him because he was important enough to be taken to Germany to work with other engineers. won't see me in any more drilled and especiallly not drilled slotted..thats that much less surface area to brake on.
Good post & very helpful.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jbauer

Man it's been awhile since I've posted regularly, but someones actually posted tech backed by an engineer... I'm shocked=P

GJ tho, yea cross drilled is not the way to go no matter what you use your car for. The loss in surface area on the cross drilled rotors also cause a decline in structural rigidity as most if not all cross drilled rotors are cast as a blank and then drilled out. If you wanna think of it as a perforated tap that you need to rip off then thats how your brake rotor is. Also due to the loss in surface area your gonna see LESS cooling from the rotor due to LESS air rushing over the rotor itself, yes the holes will have air in them but the air will not be moving as fast as the air on the surface of the rotor. Heat wants to travel to the area that is coolest, therefore other area's of the rotor not being clamped by the pad/caliper and the air is where the heat will want to travel. So more surface area = more pad friction area (since our cars are slowed from the conversion of forward momentum to heat) = better stopping times. Even though people claim otherwise it's kind of hard to alter physics to fit their arguments. Also this would work for the debate on structural rigidity in terms of metallurgy and heat dissipation in regards to thermal dynamics.

This will come up tho, but but but the porches come with it. The porches are also driven by people in their midlife crisis that get it just to be looked at. I will say that cross drilled looks better than a plain rotor, however in their case just like ours a blank rotor would serve as a better conversion medium.

Also the motorcycle/sports bike comment will come in. Bikes are muuuuch lighter, therefore exerting less pressure on the rotors will be able to slow a bike down quicker than a car, allowing them to endure where cross drilled rotors on cars will not. Their rotors are also thinner and un-shrouded, whether or not this will increase the airflow over the rotor. They are also cast with those holes so the argument of weakening the structure by drilling doesn't necessarily work.

Anywho,

I would go with a slotted rotor if you must, it is really difficult to say whether or not it is better than a blank because I have no way of testing it myself and there is noone out there with the money or time to do a test and do the test correctly.

/rant

Quick Reply: Drilled VS Slotted Rotors