4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which 2V Intake is worth the money??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:39 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Which 2V Intake is worth the money??

ORIGINAL: N3TD3V!L

So how much of an increase in HP can be expected by installing a Typhoon manifold with an Accufab 75mm TB and plenum on stock heads?
Most of the intakes aren't gonna deliver much on the stock heads and cams. The only real good thing about the typhoon is that it can be ported. I would spend the extra couple hundo and get the TFS, you'll be happy you did.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
BostonBruins 2003GT
1st Gear Member

while big numbers are nice on paper, the biggest benefit is the extra flow and extra push in certain (upper) levels of the powerband....it may be a measly 13 or 15 or whatever rwhp, but a nice lower intake on a ported heads/cammed/full exhaust stang is going to let it breath so much better. We all know that a simple catback on these cars does very little for rwhp gain, but you know it helps your cars breathing/revving...thats the more important part
Old 03-25-2008, 05:30 PM
1999 GT
3rd Gear Member

trick flows are sick
Old 03-25-2008, 09:41 PM
N3TD3V!L
1st Gear Member

So, the TrickFlow Track Heat manifold would be the best buy for performance?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:43 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BostonBruins 2003GT

while big numbers are nice on paper, the biggest benefit is the extra flow and extra push in certain (upper) levels of the powerband....it may be a measly 13 or 15 or whatever rwhp, but a nice lower intake on a ported heads/cammed/full exhaust stang is going to let it breath so much better. We all know that a simple catback on these cars does very little for rwhp gain, but you know it helps your cars breathing/revving...thats the more important part
What you are saying is completely illogical... the only reason to get "extra flow and extra push" is to increase CFM into the combustion chamber, so more fuel can be added (while keeping the a/f ratio the same) and thus make more power.

If your not gaining WHP, it isn't doing anything. IMO there isn't a single 4.6L intake out there worth the money... I have yet to see any car pick up more than 15-20 WHP on a intake swap, and the ones that did were usually boosted/cammed etc cars.

The MM&FF test mentioned above only added something like 13 WHP to a boltons/blown/cammed 2v car, and once they added heads + more boost it still did not significantly outperform a stock intake 2v (the ones I have seen anyway). The 4.6L 2v intake just don't deliver.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Maybe its because im easy to make happy..but i think even 5WHP is a lot.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:57 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jbauer

Maybe its because im easy to make happy..but i think even 5WHP is a lot.
5 WHP for 1000 bucks?

Seriously.... on a stock motor car its a complete waste of time/money. IMO on a built motor car its only worth it if you have everything else done and money to blow.

5-10 WHP is bearly noticable on anything but a dyno. Its going to be hard to tell at the track weither its the added power or just different outside condtions.

4.6L intakes FTL!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Bottom line is without some kind of power adder there are not gonna be significant power gains on any of the aftermarket intakes. Best I've seen so far N/Ais Trick Flow!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:34 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: BostonBruins 2003GT

What you are saying is completely illogical... the only reason to get "extra flow and extra push" is to increase CFM into the combustion chamber, so more fuel can be added (while keeping the a/f ratio the same) and thus make more power.

If your not gaining WHP, it isn't doing anything. IMO there isn't a single 4.6L intake out there worth the money... I have yet to see any car pick up more than 15-20 WHP on a intake swap, and the ones that did were usually boosted/cammed etc cars.

The MM&FF test mentioned above only added something like 13 WHP to a boltons/blown/cammed 2v car, and once they added heads + more boost it still did not significantly outperform a stock intake 2v (the ones I have seen anyway). The 4.6L 2v intake just don't deliver.
I know everyone is very skeptical to believe anything they read in a magazine, but the trick flow this is the only manifold that they have tested that has seen any gains without ported heads (boosted or not). The trick Flow is also basically a Bullitt manifold on roids which has proven to be ery beneficial especially in boosted applications.

The problem with intakes on these cars is the intake is not the restriction in the flow. The stock intakes and exhaust manifolds tend to out flow the stock head/cams, which is why there is little documented gains by replacing either on stock head/cam applications.

The intakes for these cars are very new to the market and relatively expensive to other mods, which is why they are not widely accepted. But they are no less worthy of being upgraded than any other component that people upgrade that have been proven time and time again to only deliver single digit hp gains. Especially since they will deliver more gains depending on the other mods (super/turbo/nitrous). Like said above, any gain is very much worth the trouble on the 4.6

Old 03-26-2008, 02:05 AM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

Hmm if thats true about TF being based on a Bullitt then that's not too bad. Bullitts add torque on the low end like a truck i believe which is nice.

But yeah i have to admit mod 2V heads were designed by a damn fool. One look at any GM or Honda head and the dude would have designed something completely different. For one thing if your gonna go OHC, might as well go 4V from the start.

rant over

Quick Reply: Which 2V Intake is worth the money??