4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MMR Block, Patriot heads, what else for a 97?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 01:04 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default MMR Block, Patriot heads, what else for a 97?

I got a quote back from my shop on how much it'd cost to build me an engine that will hold 600 hp or so. They say, for the long block, it would cost around $10,000. I told them that their machinest is outside of his mind!

So, that idea's out. I need a new engine, so here's an idea: MMR 900 street block, Patriot Stage II heads. That will put me around 300 brake HP on my 97 GT I think. But, to make it work, what else is needed? I know I need the PI intake manifold, but is that all? The heads I am pretty sure don't come with springs, rockers or valves. Is that right? And if I get those as well as the intake, will it all go together? I would rather not use any upgraded cams because this is my daily driver and my stage III clutch makes it hard enough to drive.

So, get those parts and use the stock cams. That is all, correct? I will be doing a full exhaust as well (headers back), but that doesn't really matter in this situation. I just need to know if all that will go together correctly. Oh, and if anyone has any better ideas, throw them out there Plan is to eventually go blown at some point, but not now as I don't have THAT much money.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:37 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: MMR Block, Patriot heads, what else for a 97?

I should probably make something clear. I am not shooting for any specific HP number anymore. No point, really. Just a lot of money. What I want is the right feel. I want my car to feel a certain way and I will make it that way eventually. I just need to know what other options I have as far as a good engine that can take whatever I decide to throw at it. Wheather that is only 400 or up to 800 hp. Who knows, only I will once I get there.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:07 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

bump
Old 03-22-2008, 09:22 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

I have heard great things about MMR short blocks. Not so much on Patriot Performance products. I know of guys running their heads with no problems, but others who bash them. I personally have not dealt with them. To make things easy on you, why not just get a longblock from MMR and just have it shipped to your house already put together so you can drop it in your car? With a built bottom end, their ported heads whatever stage, and whatever stage cams from them your looking at maybe 7-8k. That motor will be able to take anything you throw at it.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:09 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97stanger

I have heard great things about MMR short blocks. Not so much on Patriot Performance products. I know of guys running their heads with no problems, but others who bash them. I personally have not dealt with them. To make things easy on you, why not just get a longblock from MMR and just have it shipped to your house already put together so you can drop it in your car? With a built bottom end, their ported heads whatever stage, and whatever stage cams from them your looking at maybe 7-8k. That motor will be able to take anything you throw at it.
That's true, but that's just too much money. I just looked at the two options and it is better for me to just get the shortblock (at around 3k) and then spend $1200 or so on some stage 2 p/p heads. I can use the stock cams and still put down a good 300 hp or so. And even if not, it will improve the feeling of my car as it stands now The MMR longblock is a good one, but for the price of what they would charge me for just the motor, I could get their shortblock, some heads, built tranny and full exhaust. I drive this car every day and I don't need THAT much perfection in it

Any other angles you can think of?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:07 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

no man if thats what you want to do it sounds good. Thats what I plan on doing. Buying their MOD800 short block and calling it a day. Keep us updated!
Old 03-23-2008, 08:27 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

My buddy had another idea today. Why not just spend a grand on a used PI engine, P/P the heads and add a high flow exhaust system? Total cost would be around $3k or so and the install we will try to do ourselves. Two of my friends have done engine swaps in other cars before and they even have the lift

It won't hold a bunch of power, but it does give me an alternative to spending over 5k for an engine and $2k more for install. I won't be installing an MMR block and Patriot heads by myself. If I screwed it up, I'd friggen loose it.

This sounds like a viable alternative. What do you think?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:16 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

if i were you id find a 4valve motor, do the head work, put some mild cams in it, and ofcourse the exhaust/fuel upgrades you may need, and then call it a day. the 4valves hold up a lot better to f/i as far as im aware of. im sure the motor would be more than a grand but stronger than it.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:10 PM
vinson581
1st Gear Member

i did a mmr 900, with all the goodies and it came to around 6600 shipped, and they were EXCELENT to work with.

its a 900 shortblock with

MMR ported heads
comp springs
i will be putting in vt blower cams
arp hd main and head studs
high volume oil pump
low compression pistons, notched for (high lift cam if ever wanted), and setup for FI
i cant remember if i got the pistons coated i want to say yes but memory is lapseing me...
couple other stupid things, but honestly it runs great and SMOOTH soooooo much smoother then my stock engine...

also for the sake of easyness u can get an entire engine with a 3 yr 36k mi from for with all the assc. p/s pump , alt, a/c for about 3000$ and you have a fresh warrentied engine ftw!
Old 03-23-2008, 11:18 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

I think I like the idea of not spending a whole lot of money on this one. I could, I know that, but I have a wedding in a bit over a year that I need to pay for and I don't need to be paying off credit card bills or a refinanced car loan with that in the near future. I would love to do it up right with MMR, but I don't think it's a good idea at the moment.

As for getting a 4 valve, anyone know where I can get one for a good price? Let's say a 96 to 04. The 5.0 takes too much to put in my car and the 05+ will be too much. I keep looking on here and Ebay because I am comfortable in those places. Anyone have a suggestion as to where to look for this stuff?

Quick Reply: MMR Block, Patriot heads, what else for a 97?