4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Changing out the fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 01:23 PM
sliek0722
2nd Gear Member

Default Changing out the fuel filter

I bought a fuel filter at advanced auto and i asked a mechanic how much he would charge to put it in and he said $20! He claimed it's a good deal because an average mechanic would charge 80 for labor and if i did it myself it would cost me more money to go buy the special tool and buy a power jack to jack the car up (I only have a spare tire jack, he claimed you need a better jack to do it).

WTF!

EDIT: He also claimed there are two fuel filters on our cars. - one mounted to the frame and one on the engine. I thought there was only one.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:52 PM
bdog
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Changing out the fuel filter

20 bucks sounds pretty good. he is right you need a special tool and a better jack.... as for the two filters im not sure.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

It's not a bad deal..But you don't need a better jack, the jack doesnt matter, its the jack stands you need. The special tool is about 2 dollars, and my filter came with the 'special tool'

When i was at stock ride height, i did it with out a lift haha
Old 03-29-2008, 03:01 PM
sliek0722
2nd Gear Member

what do you mean by jack stands? you don't need that for the spare tire jack. in fact im wondering why the spare tire jack wouldn't work since i just need it high enough to be able to reach in there and unbolt it
Old 03-29-2008, 03:59 PM
bt1288
3rd Gear Member

Jack stands are for safety. You don't want the car falling off the jack. It will crush you like a grape.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:04 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

NEVER crawl under a car when only using a spare jack, your asking for trouble and taking your life in your hands on that.
You also NEVER trust or even get under a car even with a big heavy duty jack without jack stands.

That is just car saftey 101.

You'll get a Darwin award if you get killed by a car falling on you with out using jack stands.

Lynn
Old 03-29-2008, 04:17 PM
andysm
1st Gear Member

+2 Need good jack or stands. And don't get that $7 dollar scissor type tool at advance. The extra money is worth it for the better tools. I have read in other threads, and has been my experience, the inlet side is a little bit of a bitch to get unlocked. Hense the need for a good jack. So dude get to harbour freight and buy some gear for the garage. Now I am off to the garge to use my better jack and stands to paint the calipers. I love weekends.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:26 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

wrd. jst take the extra two econds feffot and thrw some stands under it. 20 s good if you have no mechanical ability what so ever. the dealer would probably charge you 50bucks.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:50 PM
sliek0722
2nd Gear Member

Jack stands are expensive. And so is a better jack. I realize you guys think it's a good one time investment but when I think about the amount of time I spend working on my car versus the steals you can get by hiring a mechanic off of craigslist (some of them only charge 25-30 an hour) it would take years.. like 10+ years for me to make my money back. If I ever did. IMO buying jack stands to change out a fuel filter every 50k miles is a waste of money.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:11 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sliek0722

Jack stands are expensive. And so is a better jack. I realize you guys think it's a good one time investment but when I think about the amount of time I spend working on my car versus the steals you can get by hiring a mechanic off of craigslist (some of them only charge 25-30 an hour) it would take years.. like 10+ years for me to make my money back. If I ever did. IMO buying jack stands to change out a fuel filter every 50k miles is a waste of money.
Tell us where you live and I'll be the first person there when they give you your Darwin award for using your spare jack to crawl under your car.

Don't be stupid..... Your life depends on it.

Lynn

Quick Reply: Changing out the fuel filter