4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What exactly will a shift kit do for a 99' GT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 06:13 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Default What exactly will a shift kit do for a 99' GT?

It's the guy who purchased the modded auto GT! I hear alot about stall convertors and shift kits, but what exactly do they do? Damn, I hate to sound stupid but what exactly will 3.73's or 4.10 gears do? Don't be to harsh this is my first car. Not too bad I thought it would be a 85' Skylark, especialy considering I just got my license 2 months before I bought the car! (I'm 20 so i'm a late bloomer)
Old 04-12-2005, 07:28 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: What exactly will a shift kit do for a 99' GT?

it will firm up your shift points and make the shifts harder as opposed to the stock slower hift. you will gain a little difference in ET's and will be able to chirp the tires at shifts.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:36 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

gears basicaly trade top speed for accelleration

in simple terms, the hight the gear ratio, the less top speed and more accelleration
Old 04-12-2005, 07:49 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Thanks! I thought that was it with the gears. One question about the shift kit. Will it still shift automatically or will I be able to change the gears myself. If I can't change the gears wouldn't it be the same thing if I adjusted shift firmness with a handheld tuner? Does anyone know what a stall convertor is?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:53 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

with the shift kit you can do either... have it shift itself or do it manually although best times will probably be letting the computer doing it itself.

a tuner will help firm up shift points but they don't change the gear ratio.. the different size of the gear is what does that i.e like the number of teeth. a good highway and all around gear is 3.73's and a good drag gear and city gear that people get happy with is 4.10's.

and i can't help you with the stall converter as i am trying to learn about that myself.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sandcracker21

gears basicaly trade top speed for accelleration

in simple terms, the hight the gear ratio, the less top speed and more accelleration
Sure, but not quite with out poorly geared transmissions, but you do have the right idea.

Actually upgrading our stock gears to say a 3.73 or 4.10 will actually get us a higher top speed. We don't have enough HP stock to keep climbing MPH with 3.27's.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:04 PM
98UAGT
2nd Gear Member

The stall converter multiplies torque in the transmission. Autos lose a lot of horses to the ground, but a stall converter, AKA torque converter, helps to free up these ponies. I believe the stock stall on our cars is 2000 rpm. The car will move at any rpm; however, 2k is the speed that the car really gets going. With more radical cams, people with autos have to bump up their stall speed with a stall converter.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:45 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Okay, I see now! I really want those gears, torque conv and shift kit. I need to contact the person who had my car before me to see what all he did to it. For example I found a receipt for a diablo tunner in the trunk by the spare tire! I don't know if he has used one on this car or installed gears etc. Thanks for all the help my car is going to be serious this summer. I have noticed that if I'm at a stop for a while (enough that the engine idles) than let of the brake the car will not move unless I give it gas. If I get just a little aggresive the car takes off like a rocket! Is this normal or is it a problem with my drivetrain? I just can't belive I had this car for 3 weeks and no one has challenged me yet. Hmmmm.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:30 PM
98UAGT
2nd Gear Member

No that is not normal, and that is usually what cars do when they have stall converters on them. I don't know if the same thing happens with the shift kit. So the guy before you may have done something to it.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:55 PM
marcuslee842
3rd Gear Member

Really! Damn I must find a way to contact this guy! I found is insurance card in the manual in the glove box. I'm going to have to try and track him down. I called the dealship and my salesman says he dosen't have any info on the guy. He told me that the guy said when he tested it on a dyno, ( my salesman is a street/track racer) told me that the car is 298 rwhp! He told me when I bought it that those were flowmaster mufllers. I looked under the car and I don't know what kind of mufflers they are but they are not chambered like flowmaster, they have a strait through design. Besides it's a catback system and not just mufflers. Then my salesman said that he thinks the guy already higher gears installed gears, after I told him that's what I wanted to do. WTF! Now I don't know what the hell to do with the car. Also there is a thin little control card that sticks out of the driver side vent. It has four buttons on it. Flames on one, a music note on the other, and I don't no what the other two symbols are, it's about as thick as a credit card and lights up when I turn on the headlights.It has a wire that com out the vent directly into it. Does anyone have a idea of what this device may be?

Quick Reply: What exactly will a shift kit do for a 99' GT?