4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What just happened?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 01:38 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: What just happened?

ORIGINAL: Phirantes

thats why it's called a stealership......... maybe they are just charging you extra since they are allowing you to keep your warranty, seems like gears should void it....
My dealer did mine and it cost me about $1,300 CANADIAN, including the speedo recal box and all parts and labor, including fluid and friction modifier.

There are only a few dealerships I could find who would actually do it and it did not void my warranty at all. HOWEVER......all FRPP parts I have ever bought come with a warning that says "racing parts have no warranty", so, I don;t think my gears have any warranty on them but the rest of the car does.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:51 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

Ya, if you put gears into your car, you are not voiding your warenty. There is a law protecting ppl from that kind of thing. I looked it up a while back. They only thing that isnt protected is the new gears.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I had a Steeda Tri-X shifter put in my 03 Mach1 at a dealership and it didn't void the warranty. I also have them install a beefier clutch. Total price was just over 900 bux.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:35 PM
blank
2nd Gear Member

pm casper
Old 04-14-2005, 07:58 PM
JonBeast

Dealerships don't know anything: I asked a guy at a local dealer....."How much do you think for a new black top for my vert...?" (just to see what he would say) , he responds "hmmm about 3-4 grand, which includes everything" HAHAHAHAAA, WTF?? I just laughed to myself and left. Don't ever get anything done by a dealer, unless its a warranty fix or recall!!
Old 04-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Quatrocky
2nd Gear Member

i remember when i had a new bumper put on it was like $72 an hour for labor without paint prices are outragous somtimes.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:13 PM
MrMustang04
1st Gear Member

Might sound stupid but I'm not sure, does a midpipe void your warranty?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:08 PM
66_mustang_04
3rd Gear Member

that sounds about right...
Old 04-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

WOW im glad i read this....

Don't ever get anything done by a dealer, unless its a warranty fix or recall!!
<--- Thats about how 70 % of the ****ers that come into the dealership think!!! It pisses me off! Here is why.... If you only bring youre POS Ford into the dealership for warranty work I MAKE NOTHING! and SO many people just bring it in for warranty work. I dont mind it because i can usually scam ford into paying me extra time, but it takes a lil bit to think of ways. BUT then we tell the people we hope they never come back so when they try to get us to do a warranty trans because you never did a service to it... BUH BYE!

As far as the price. you might wanna check up on the hourly rate there. My dealership is set at 76.00 an hour. As some of you might recall i did gears on an 05 GT a month or so back... at 76 an hour... and 8 hours. = thats how much he paid...

Its a professional job! Or course youre gonna pay, go down the road and have Jimmbo put them in and see what he says when you bring them back because it howls. Yeah im not saying its right to have to pay 600+ for new rear end gears....

But i replaced all bearings, seals, even axle seals and bearing, gears ( which he paid for ) backlash was PERFECT, the gear mesh was PERFECT. No howl, no whine. He loves it.

And gears wont void youre warranty, supercharger wont void youre warranty, shortthrow shifter wont... NOTHING WILL

If youre rear axle breaks... sorry but youre gonna pay for it.. If the "aftermarket part" causes the problem you pay. Other than that they cant say a damn thing! Me and my service manager had a fight over it one day when a 99 GT came in with a bad starter. I opened the hood and my manager said.. "Ok, close the hood"
"Um NO."
"He has an aftermarket CAI"
"So what that has nothing to do with anytihng"
"Yeah it does, im not having my dealership work on this."
"Too bad, i'll call ford right now and see what they have to say."

So i did and they told me stright out, "How can a ROUSH CAI affect a starter?" I said it cant, but my service manager thinks other wise... They sent out a rep to talk to him and now he thinks otherwise!
Old 04-14-2005, 10:28 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

sup casper.

Yea I realize you don't make money based of warranty work, that sucks. I actually wanted to get the gears installed from my dealership b/c it would seem a bit more "official" (like you were saying, you did a rear end swap and it was PERFECT) and figured that the rate wouldn't be horrible. But this was just a bit too much for my liking. I'll give them a call and see what they have to say, but I just don't have that type of money right now to afford it. Thats good to hear about the warranty not being voided by the gears though, pretty happy about that. I just have to find a good shop that will charge a reasonable price for the install.

Edit: Thanks everyone for the reply. Glad to see I wasnt the only one baffled by the prices lol.

Quick Reply: What just happened?