4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How do I unprogram a remote from my car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM
wisk
4th Gear Member

Default How do I unprogram a remote from my car?

So a while back I bought a couple extra remotes because I thought mine had bit the dust. Well, when they came in I went on ahead and programmed them to my car. So now this guy across the street wanted one and I sold him one of the extras I had. Only problem is that its still programmed to my car even after we programmed it to his.

Is there any way to unprogram it from my car? Maybe something where I can just forget all remotes entirely and start from scratch would be helpful.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:45 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How do I unprogram a remote from my car?

you have to go to the dealership, the car will hold so many remotes(i think about 4?) but they will stay in your cars memory untill you program enough new remotes to kick the old onesout of the memory. the dealer can erase them from the car and reprogram the remotes you are going to use.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 PM
wisk
4th Gear Member

Kinda what I'm seeing now..
Did a little extended searching on Google and that looks like my only option... If I was to reset my entire PATS I would really be screwed then because my key would not even work.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:16 PM
AmericanRicer87
3rd Gear Member

there isn't a chip in the key , at least on my 00 there isn't. cause i have had to use a spare key b4 and nothing happened any differently than normal
Old 04-08-2008, 01:20 AM
40thGTKB
1st Gear Member

easy, sledge hammer that ****
Old 04-08-2008, 09:08 AM
vinson581
1st Gear Member

this isnt true......the car will erase the remotes in memory....

HERE IS THE PROPER way how to do it.

turn the ignition key back and forth 8 times (not starting the car of course, with the engine off, so the key goes from off to the position where the gauges and idiot lights come on)the door locks are now going to cycle on the 8th turn, leave the key in the assc (dash lights on) position, and then just hit the unlock or lock button on the remotes that you still want to keep, you can also hit lock, doesnt matter,when you are finished withthe number of remotes you want, just turn the key back to the OFFposition and your all set to go...so if you have u said 4 remotes only hit the onlock button on the 3 remotes you still have, this will clear the memory and thus now you only have the remotes programmed that you want.....

TO MY knowledge this works on all ford with keyless entry.....and here is my reasoning and what cars i have used this meathod on.

2008 F-150 Supercrew lariat
(2) 1999 Explorers
2004 Mustang
1998 Ranger

also different remotes will work with different cars you just have to make sure it is the same style and you will be all set...if have various remotes,and prolly 5 spares new of differnt styles, the 4 button ones work for our cars, and anything with a trunk popper, the 3 button remotes work on the ford trucks(without the glass popper)and F series line.

Hope this helps
Old 04-08-2008, 05:04 PM
wisk
4th Gear Member

You just repeated the steps on how to program a remote to the car.
Are you saying that the same steps also unprogram a remote from a car?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:20 PM
wisk
4th Gear Member

Or I guess you can program the same remote 4 times and clear the other remotes out?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Robbgt
1st Gear Member

Yes, re-program your remote to your car, and that Should take the programing out of the remote you gave your freind. Give it a try and see if it works.

Also, you don't need to program it 4 times, just once should be enough
Old 04-08-2008, 05:28 PM
wisk
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Robbgt

Yes, re-program your remote to your car, and that Should take the programing out of the remote you gave your freind. Give it a try and see if it works.

Also, you don't need to program it 4 times, just once should be enough
Hm.. I thought I had read that the computer has memory for 4 separate remotes. :shrug:

Quick Reply: How do I unprogram a remote from my car?