4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Extra key

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:48 PM
jtfrog
2nd Gear Member

Default Extra key

I need to have an extra key made. Dealer wants 35 for key and 114 to program it. Is there a procedure to do this with a volt meter?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:50 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Extra key

go on ebay and buy a blank and there is should just be some combination of on and off to program the key
Old 04-08-2008, 02:17 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It takes a lot more than a voltmeter, however almost any good locksmith can makeand programa key for a lot less than the dealer. My '03 only had one key when I got it (you need 2 working keys toprogram additional keys using the built in method*)--the local "Village Locksmith" shop provioded, cut, and programmed a second key for $50. It take 30 minutes or so due to "waiting periods" built into the PATS.[/align][/align]---------------------------[/align]* - the "built-in" procedure to program additional keys requires that you have 2 functional keys. I have been told that this capability may be disabled on some cars--I have never gotten it to work on my '03 GT.[/align][/align]From the shop manual:[/align][/align]
NOTE: This procedure only works if two or more programmed ignition keys are available and it is desired to program additional key(s). If two keys are not available, follow the procedure in Key Programming—Erase All Key Codes and Program Two Keys .

NOTE: PID SPARE_KY must be enabled for this procedure to operate. If this Parameter Identification (PID) Index is not enabled, follow the security access procedure and select Spare Key Programming Switch: Enabled.

NOTE: If the programming procedure is successful, the new key(s) will start the vehicle and the THEFT INDICATOR will illuminate for approximately three seconds.

NOTE: If the programming procedure is not successful, the new key(s) will not start the vehicle and the THEFT INDICATOR will flash. If the programming procedure was not successful, repeat the key programming procedure from Step 1. If the failure repeats, check Circuit 729 (RD/WH) (hot at all times) in instrument cluster for proper battery voltage. Repair the circuit if voltage is not present. For additional information, refer to Diagnosis and Testing to review diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) and perform pinpoint tests as required.

NOTE: A maximum of eight ignition keys can be programmed to a passive anti-theft system (PATS) equipped vehicle. Use PID NUMKEYS to determine how many keys are programmed to the vehicle.

NOTE: If the steps are not performed as outlined, the programming procedure will end.

NOTE: Ignition keys must have correct mechanical key cut for the vehicle and must be a PATS encoded key.
[ol][*]Insert the first programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (maintain the ignition switch in RUN for one second).[*]Turn the ignition switch to OFF and remove the first key from the ignition lock cylinder.[*]Within five seconds of turning the ignition switch to OFF, insert the second programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (maintain the ignition switch in RUN for one second).[*]Turn the ignition switch to OFF and remove the second key from the ignition lock cylinder.[*]Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition lock cylinder to OFF, insert the unprogrammed ignition key (new key) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (maintain the ignition switch in RUN for 1 second).[*]If it is desired to program additional key(s), repeat the key programming procedure from the beginning. [/ol]
[/align]
Old 04-08-2008, 02:52 PM
jtfrog
2nd Gear Member

As I only have one key when I bought mine. So I can go to a lock smith to buy the key and they can program it for me?
Old 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

That's what I did--30 minutes and $50 later I was on my way...
Old 04-08-2008, 03:32 PM
99mustang38or46
1st Gear Member

Voltmeter that frightens me![sm=forgetit.gif]
Old 04-08-2008, 03:44 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: 99mustang38or46

Voltmeter that frightens me![sm=forgetit.gif]
[/align][/align]Precisiely my first thought...[/align]
Old 04-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Machmax777
1st Gear Member

sorry but im about to hijack this thread[8D]. my wife has a 98 v6 and she needs another key cut just to get in the door, it doesnt need to crank the car we justneed itbecause she alwase locks her keys in the car. can iget one cut for cheaper than$50 since it doesnt have to operate the ignition?

srry for thehijack
Old 04-08-2008, 05:11 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Sure, you just need to go someplace that has a compatible blank and have them cut the key...
Old 04-08-2008, 06:47 PM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

You do not need a transponder key to open the door, only to start the car. You can even turn it to "on" and turn on the radio with a regular key. If you just want a door key, wal-mart will have it.

Quick Reply: Extra key