4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 rebuild help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:17 PM
lmcracing

Default 4.6 rebuild help

Well, I just came over from the dark side.. I sold my Camaro to give the Mustang a try. So needless to say, I need schooled on the mustang motors and valuable modifications for the money. I purchased a 1996 GT 4.6, the car is beautiful but the motor needs some work. I am looking to build a new motor or rebuild the existing one.

The car will be my daily driver but I want to add some solid punch. I am trying to locate information on a possible stroker kit or head swap to gain some dependable ponies. If anyone has specs for heads, cams or other worth while mods..please let me know.

Whats the stock HP before and after mods?

Thanks in advance for the help. Its always good to see what works instead of whats advertised.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6 rebuild help

The non pi engine (the engine in 96-98) Has 215-225 hp. You shouldnt bother with a stroker not enough bang for your buck. Go for a pi headswap they sell on ebay for about 1400. The pi swap will get you just over 260 hp, you could also go for a cobra engine for around 4k on ebay and have 305 hp and a forged block and crankshaft but they still have ****ty connecting rods.The best ways to go for big hp are nitrousor a supercharger with either a cobra motor or pi swap.Hope this all helps
Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
lmcracing

What year cars have the PI heads, and what do I need to do the swap?

Also, what is the difference between the PI heads and stock that make the difference? I have seen aftermarket heads as well are they not as good as simply going PI?

I am a mustang 4.6 newbie, help a brother out, Thanks!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
98SN95
2nd Gear Member

PI heads come on 99-o4 stangs, these heads flow better and produce way more power when bolted to a 96-98 mustang, i just bought my heads from JEGS, and got the intake online, putting these heads and intake on is better than any other upgrade for the money, if you shop smart you can get everything u need for under 1,000 bucks.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:53 AM
lmcracing

As well as the PI heads is there any suggested mods I should do at the same time I have my motor out? I plan on rebuilding my block or buying a short block. Any suggestions on crank and piston selection?

Also, I have seen different composite manifolds are they worth the money?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 AM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

Please do not build the 4.6 backwards or it will not last. You have to forge the bottom end first. You can get a fully forged rotating assembly from MMR ( www.modularmustangracing.com ) for about $1700. After you forge it, then you can go turbo, supercharged, or nitrous. If you're going to do a head swap, put Cobra heads on there. They work great with power adders and you can usually pick them up pretty cheap on forum classifieds. To really give you good advice, we need to know what your budget is. Stop being so shy about money people. Money is the biggest factor for mods.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:59 AM
lmcracing

I am not looking to spend a huge amount of money but can afford a few thousand to get things moving. I dont want to go cheap and be rebuilding anytime soon. My dilemma is, I dont want to waste money on mods that dont help. Obviously forging everything is a great investment in your motors longevity.

I was told that the cobra heads do not work on 2v blocks, do they actually work?

Also, what year long block or short block can I buy to put in my car? If i were planning to do the PI swap on a 96 short block anyways can I just bolt in a 99 or newer long block? What would need changed?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:44 PM
josh.davis
3rd Gear Member

you dont need PI heads, b/c fox lake racing can port them just as good as a PI heads.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 PM
lmcracing

well, does anyone know where to get a long or short block that has been rebuilt? And which years will bolt right in. My car is a 96

What heads should I order? Stock cam (PI) work the best?
Old 04-09-2008, 03:42 PM
jlg32281
2nd Gear Member

You need to go to www.modularmustangracing.com. They sell long and short blocks. Lethal performance ( www.lethalperformance.com ) also sells a lot of goodies for these cars. MMR is kinda the authority on modular engines and their prices are very reasonable. Tell me what you budget is and I'll tell you what I'd do if it were my car and money. I might sell that car and buy a Cobra. lol.

Quick Reply: 4.6 rebuild help