4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

mis-shift

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Wolfe008
2nd Gear Member

Default mis-shift

so i'm doing a little test run in my 99 cobra, just getting the hang of my new short shifter and i'm boning out up the street...I cherp into 2nd then 3rd then go for 4th and I guess I accidentaly put it in 2nd and obviously my tires screech and the car jolts and I quickly push in the cluth and remove it from 2nd...does somethign like this **** up my tranny badly?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:30 AM
JonBeast

Default RE: mis-shift

ORIGINAL: Wolfe008

so i'm doing a little test run in my 99 cobra, just getting the hang of my new short shifter and i'm boning out up the street...I cherp into 2nd then 3rd then go for 4th and I guess I accidentaly put it in 2nd and obviously my tires screech and the car jolts and I quickly push in the cluth and remove it from 2nd...does somethign like this **** up my tranny badly?
Did you put it completely into 2nd? Your car is fine as long as you don't do it a lot. Its going to be rough on your tranny but don't worry about it, as long as you got it out of gear as fast as you could, it should be fine.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:37 AM
Wolfe008
2nd Gear Member

yeah I got it out of there pretty damn fast...Also...is it bad for the car to stall...sometimes I will be sitting at a light and let the cluth out a little too much...
Old 04-18-2005, 12:41 AM
Monster2v

Im sure the car bounced off the rev limiter and as long you heard the tires screech you'll be alright. Case in point is that when the engine is spinning that fast in 3rd gear and you drop it into even yet a lower gear, all that power/energy must go somewhere in most cases it will be transferred through the driveline to the wheels but, it you have sticky tires on and the tires dont spin you'll either A) find the weak spot in your driveline (normally clutch) and it will shatter or B) you'll throw a rod right out the side of the block and ruin the whole motor. Seeing how you said its alright and the tires "screeched" you'll be fine. For future cases if it happenes again i wouldnt be too worried bout your tranny but rather the motor too.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:41 AM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: Wolfe008

yeah I got it out of there pretty damn fast...Also...is it bad for the car to stall...sometimes I will be sitting at a light and let the cluth out a little too much...
Stalling is never good for your car, but its no biggie, if you don't stall out all the time its okay. I'm sure you will get the hang of it.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:43 AM
JonBeast

ORIGINAL: Monster2v

Im sure the car bounced off the rev limiter and as long you heard the tires screech you'll be alright. Case in point is that when the engine is spinning that fast in 3rd gear and you drop it into even yet a lower gear, all that power/energy must go somewhere in most cases it will be transferred through the driveline to the wheels but, it you have sticky tires on and the tires dont spin you'll either A) find the weak spot in your driveline (normally clutch) and it will shatter or B) you'll throw a rod right out the side of the block and ruin the whole motor. Seeing how you said its alright and the tires "screeched" you'll be fine. For future cases if it happenes again i wouldnt be too worried bout your tranny but rather the motor too.
Someone has had experience with this.....coughcough 5 motor rebuilds coughcough....hahhaa
Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 AM
jrmy

damn same thing happened to me.i own an 08 gt and instead of fourth,i went into second.i almost lost it to wheras i was going 110.i hate my cars hard to shift problem.well anyway,i didnt have a chance to look at the rpms,but idk if the limiter stopped the engine from throwing a rod,or its just a tough motor.so with that said,even though it still runs,do u guys think it might be slightly damaged.i mean the motor and tranny..even though the tranny is not my concern with this little issue.or should i have the motor rebuilt...and if i do,what should i have modified...sorry wolfe 008.lol.maybe this will get more detailed answers on our questions
Old 09-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

There is no rev limiter when down shifting. The rev limiter cuts off the fuel to the engine. If you down shift from 3rd to 2nd, it the mechanical engery from the wheels spinning the engine, not fuel. Even if you have a 6200 rpm rev limiter, you can still spin the motor at 7000 or higher. This doesn't really do too much harm at low rpms because you'll still be below redline in 2nd. If you are at high rpms when you down shift you are very likely to tear up the motor.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jrmy
damn same thing happened to me.i own an 08 gt and instead of fourth,i went into second.i almost lost it to wheras i was going 110.i hate my cars hard to shift problem.well anyway,i didnt have a chance to look at the rpms,but idk if the limiter stopped the engine from throwing a rod,or its just a tough motor.so with that said,even though it still runs,do u guys think it might be slightly damaged.i mean the motor and tranny..even though the tranny is not my concern with this little issue.or should i have the motor rebuilt...and if i do,what should i have modified...sorry wolfe 008.lol.maybe this will get more detailed answers on our questions
You must have gotten the clutch back down in time. If you had a valve hit a piston, or if you had spun a bearing you would know it.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

its hard for me to put it in 2nd at anything above like 45 mph, I dont thikn it would be possible to go from the end of 3rd gear back into 2nd at like ~100 mph...

i have a tr3650 though in my 03 gt

Quick Reply: mis-shift