4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Problem NEED HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:13 PM
CobraMan25

Default Problem NEED HELP PLEASE

Hey Guys!! Im new to the forums and this is my first post. I have a little problem. I just purchased a 1998 Cobra off of ebay and I just received it yesterday. I bought it from some guy in Cali. I got it last night and I realized that this guy I bought it off of just gave me one key. The only thing that this key does is start the car. I also received a keyless entry pad which works to open the passenger door and the trunk, but the keyless doesn't open up the driver door it sucks. I can get into the car but only from the passenger side with the keyless entry. I called the guy and asked if he had any other keys to send me for the car and he said that the one key and the keyless is all that he had. So now what do I have to do to get a key made for the doors and the trunk without having the key. This sucks because he never told me that he didnt have the key to open the doors.Now I dont know what to do as far as having a key made without having the original copy. Someone please help. Thank you
Old 04-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Problem NEED HELP PLEASE

I dont understand what youre saying what so ever. But i like to help others so i will try here goes....

First of all youre Cobra has PATS ( Passive anti-theft system) So if you have a key that starts it, it will also open the doors and trunk. But you can have a key cut at a hardware store and it will open all doors and trunk, but will not start the car. You would have to have FORD dealership cut a key with the PATS in it. The keys is whats called the PATS key. A chip built in so when youre key slides past the PATS ring on youre ignition if reconises it and starts up. If you can start it then the key will do everything else.

As far as keyless entry it should open the drivers door ??

Youre whole situation sounds far fetched. As far as technical points go. It just doesnt sound right.

BUT you can go to a dealership, give them youre VIN and they can look up a KEY CODE for you, cut you a couple keys... Then buy 2 FOBS and then program them to youre Cobra and you'll be sitting pretty..

I hope i could help. Any other questions i can also help with please let me know!

Casper.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:57 AM
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Problem NEED HELP PLEASE

yea what he said dealer sounds like your best bet