4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

500hp on stock motor? & Boost gauge question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 500hp on stock motor? & Boost gauge question...

ORIGINAL: califas_1987

It probably has a terrible tune... 14.8's with a SC?! Thats sad. You could also try a driver mod before you get knee deep in it all too... after all, you just got the car.[8D]

I couldn't agree with this statement more.. Seat time is really the only way to get better/more consistenttimes at first.. It's either that, or your car is crap (which I hope isn't the case)... What kind of tires are there on the car??

It's weird that you're not seeing ANY boost.. Even if the thing wasn't working right, you'd at least see a psi or 2..

Also, when you say it was tuned with the Diablosport, and he didn't have it when you got the car, I'll assume you mean you don't have the tuner now?? If so, that could also contribute to the lackluster performance..

JT
Old 04-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Brack18327

I'm not sure the exact tire size, but theyre sittin on 17inch CobraR rims 9" wide. Tires are brand new, but I would like wider tires and rims. so they'll soon to be replaced...

I dno whats up with the psi, But i dont even get to 0.

I do not have the tuner.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:18 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

sell it and buy my car. you shouldn't have trouble with your dad then
Old 04-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Saleen superchargers are very conservative and very expensive to upgrade. I checked into a Saleen before I bought a Procharger. I wasn't sure if you were talking 500 hp at the crank or at the wheels. It is possible to get 500 crank hp with a Procharger. That's approximately 425 rwhp with a manual transmission or 400 rwhp with an automatic. A Procharger running 10-lbs of boost with a few other mods ( 75mm TB or LT Headers)and a somewhataggressive tune will get you there. But this would be pushing the limits and most tuners will tell you that they do not know how long the motor will last. Some have lasted a couple of years at that horsepower and some haven't even gotten off the dyno.

The weakest part of the 4.6 motor is its rods and pistons. If you put in forged rods and pistons, then the motor will easily handle 450 rwhp or more. But it take more mods than just a supercharger and headers. This is about the limit of your clutch and rearend and you start getting some frame twisting. Subframe connectors, better clutch, and 31 sline rear end fix these problems. Someday I thought I might try to get over 500 rwhp after I put in forged internals. It takes larger injectors, a different intake, port and polished heads, supercharger cams, and a dual fuel line systems.

Anything can be done with enough $$$. Getting to 500 crank hp maybe $8,000. Getting to 500 rwhp is another $10,000. A little less if you can do the work yourself. A more economical approach is to sell your '02 GT and buy an '03 Cobra.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:27 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

He won't have problems with his dad until after he has problems with the Law...

JT
Old 04-22-2008, 03:28 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

He won't have problems with his dad until after he has problems with the Law...

JT
meh... tomatoes tomatoes.... you can't really pronounce those on the internet, but you know what i mean

i've never gotten a ticket in that car. it just passed va inspection too
Old 04-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Brack18327

haha...i'd love to buy your stang nanaki, but i'm gonna try to be content with what i've got for at least a year before i trade up. lol.
And as far as tickets go, thats why i just invested in a freakin expensive jammer! So they pay for it if i get a ticket! [sm=badbadbad.gif]
But tickets have never really been a problem. I seem to get at least one a year. :-/ lol

ORIGINAL: Eagle2000GT

Saleen superchargers are very conservative and very expensive to upgrade. I checked into a Saleen before I bought a Procharger. I wasn't sure if you were talking 500 hp at the crank or at the wheels. It is possible to get 500 crank hp with a Procharger. That's approximately 425 rwhp with a manual transmission or 400 rwhp with an automatic. A Procharger running 10-lbs of boost with a few other mods ( 75mm TB or LT Headers) and a somewhat aggressive tune will get you there. But this would be pushing the limits and most tuners will tell you that they do not know how long the motor will last. Some have lasted a couple of years at that horsepower and some haven't even gotten off the dyno.

The weakest part of the 4.6 motor is its rods and pistons. If you put in forged rods and pistons, then the motor will easily handle 450 rwhp or more. But it take more mods than just a supercharger and headers. This is about the limit of your clutch and rearend and you start getting some frame twisting. Subframe connectors, better clutch, and 31 sline rear end fix these problems. Someday I thought I might try to get over 500 rwhp after I put in forged internals. It takes larger injectors, a different intake, port and polished heads, supercharger cams, and a dual fuel line systems.

Anything can be done with enough $$$. Getting to 500 crank hp maybe $8,000. Getting to 500 rwhp is another $10,000. A little less if you can do the work yourself. A more economical approach is to sell your '02 GT and buy an '03 Cobra.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:45 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

radar detectors are illegal in virginia, and laser jammers are illegal everywhere
Old 04-22-2008, 03:54 PM
Brack18327

radar detectors are illegal in virginia, and laser jammers are illegal everywhere

Yes this is true...But its nice when you dont get tickets. And i have a lead foot! Can't go anywhere w/o speeding! Thank GOD for cruise control!!! [sm=wootwoot.gif]

But....mine's not a laser jammer. It just scrambles radar signal for a lil bit and gives you time to slow down. Then shuts off so the officer can get a reading. Its pretty cool.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:55 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

a 14.7 is the best you could get?
i say a driver mod is in order on this one.
i ran a 14.9 with a stock 5.0 so you should be ATLEAST low 13's with a new edge and a sc.

Quick Reply: 500hp on stock motor? & Boost gauge question...