4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Automatic GT Conv - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:00 PM
aironite

Default Automatic GT Conv - What to do?

I have an automatic mustang gt convertible (2002). Right now it's all stock, but I would like to upgrade it performance-wise. Where do I start? I know manual is better for performance, but what is the best things i can do for my automatic?

Also, what is the difference between the different types of pipes? H-pipe/X-pipe, etc, etc. If someone has an informative site to link me, that would be useful, if not, please explain. Thanks alot!
Old 04-19-2005, 08:26 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Automatic GT Conv - What to do?

ok you have an automatic thats a convertible so the slowest of the V8 stangs produced for 99+ simply with the auto taking up more power and the extra weight of the convertible.

for mid-pipes you'll get more power from an off-road one (no cats) but you have to make sure you can get a sticker for your car as it is illegal in most states. for better sound people will recommend the H-Pipe and for performance people will recommend the X-Pipe. I personally have the off road X which i felt a noticable difference especially in the upper RPM's.

For the automatic you can get a tuner to play around with your shift points,rev limiter, as well as other things and they are good for about 15-20 HP. You can also pay about 100 bucks and you can get a stall converter. I HIGHLY recommend gears to really to open the thing up. For the automatic i would recommend 4.10 gears but to playu it safe if you do alot of higway driving you might want to look at 3.73's. Also get sticky tires if you get gears and Nitto makes a nice street DR.

what type of performance you looking for, street/strip, highway or a just a little bit extra go for when you feel the need for speed?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:18 PM
aironite

A little extra go is what im looking for. I also do a lot of highway driving as i have a 35 mile commute to work.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:41 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

you may not want to go with 4.10's if you have to commute to work (because your RPM's will be much higher and burn up more gas, etc). i would recomend an offroad X pipe. What state do you live in? I ask because some have emision testing, etc. Gears are somewhat expensive because of installation (can be upward $400 just for install). You can get a perfectly fine X pipe for around 160 bucks at www.mustangtuning.com
a tuner/chip will help you out since you have an Auto by giving you more aggressive shift points and other stuff liek that.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

first of all if you want serious "go" out of your auto get a shift kit, gears, and a high stall converter (which is not $100 as someone said above) They must be confused... a good converter with a medium stall (2400-2800 range) will cost you at least 400-500 bucks(not including installation of course). But add the gears. I went 3.73's with my auto. Add the shft kit and you will be smoking the 5 speed coupes.

For exhaust def go off with an offroad midpipe if your state allows it and "straight through" catback system like MAGNAFLOW. Then work on your induction. New throttle body, mass air meter, plenum, and CAI. Then toss on some pullies a Timing adjuster and you will have a good amount of power.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:52 PM
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

go with a full exhaust first you'll like that headers, h-pipe or x, then some nice catbacks magnaflows or flowmasters or even bassini or loudmouth
Old 04-20-2005, 02:43 AM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

no i wassaying the shift kit is around 100 dollars but the stall converter is much more.

also would you recommend the shift kit or will the tuner help out just as much for as i am too debating to get a shift kit or just use my tuner when it comes in the mail this week.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:32 AM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

I have the preadtor turner and adjusted my shift points and line pressure and it make a bit difference. Next week I am going to installing a Trans-go shift in it. Defently go with a full exhaust first, then a CAI, tb/plenumn, gears. When I get my shift kit installed I will post the difference between the predator and the shift kit so watch for that post in a week or so.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

If you want to go with a shift kit and gears, that will get you the most bang for the buck right out of the box. 3.73's with a Baumann shift kit and you won't believe it is the same car. 4.10's are a bit much for a daily highway driver. You can add all the other little goodies later as you get the bucks.

DRIVER 8374, be careful with a Trans-go kit, they allow you to go WOT (wide open throttle) in 4th gear OD which is a big no-no with Ford auto trannies. You'll burn it out really fast if you are not careful. Ford admits it is only a cruising gear such as 5th in a stick. You will never get much pull in an overdrive gear with such low ratios. Don't forget, the least amount of shifts you have to make in a quarter mile, the faster your ET's. Here's Baumann's site: www.baumannengineering.com/aodecat.htm

Most noticeable changes after gears is catback exhaust, underdrive pulleys, plenum and throttle body. Of course you can always put a blower on the car.....but that will cost you big bucks.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:20 PM
ReVz
3rd Gear Member

Don't worry about the auto.. never let anyone bash you cause you have an auto.. I have no problem rockin cars on the road.. Especially the kids at my school who all have 5 speeds.. I leave them lookin at my tailights all day... If anything get a Cold air intake.. I lucked out and my friend just gave one to me... he didn't need it so yeah... I just recently bought SLP loudmouth exhaust for my car.. WELL WORTH IT!... The sound of it is gorgeous.. and I deffinitly feel the differance when I hit it.. Also.. it turns many many fukin heads.. BELIEVE ME GET THE SLP LOUTHMOUTH EXHAUST! YOU WON'T REGRET IT... I JUST CANT GET ENOUGH OF IT... only conern I have now is I eat gas.. due to the fact I floor it wayyyy to much... lol... I Love that sound!

Great site to buy stuff is http://www.mustangtuning.com/ .. Good prices and fast service.. I ordered my Exhaust on a monday and got it by friday.. Great site.. Enjoy..

Quick Reply: Automatic GT Conv - What to do?