4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

heads/cams/intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:16 AM
brock_07
1st Gear Member

Default heads/cams/intake

im saving up to buy heads cams and intake for my car so far i got enough to buy the cams but wanted to get it all at the same time
ive been looking at the mmr stage 2 heads and cams and a typoon intake. im pretty sure that i will have to get the notched pistons as well. for the heads i know i will need to upgrade the valve springs but will i also have to upgrade the valves. as for the fuel system will i need to upgrade the injectors and pump, if so what should i go with.im figuring that it will cost around $4000 for all the stuff before installation then maybe by next summer get a new shortblock

i know alot of people r gonna say just buy a supercharger but i wanna build my motor first then get one later on
Old 05-06-2008, 01:24 AM
NotStok
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: heads/cams/intake

Honestly i'd get your shortblock first, then your blower, then H/C/I but that's just me. First you make it safe, then you make the biggest change, then you build from there.

I'd get at least 24lb injectors and a 190lph fuel pump if you plan on putting down some power.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

If I understand you correctly, you're going to change pistons with the heads? If you're going to do that, then you might as well do the bottom end. I don't think I'd crack open the block for just pistons to go with my shinny new top end.

If you're planning on a complete new bottom end next year, it seems a huge waste to replace the pistons this year. Besides, if you're eventually going with FI, you'll want cams to match. Installing FI cams now (read N/A) will leave you with something you probably will not like until you get the SC on board.

Overall, I agree with building the motor a little first, but I'd go in the following order: bottom end, intake, SC, heads and cams. Just my .02
Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 PM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

drive around with the motor thats in the car then in the mean time build a bottom end that will hold boost, then get the heads/cams/intake/ ect. then put it in the car brake it in without the blower on it and keep driving around until you save enough cash to get the blower
Old 05-06-2008, 10:05 PM
brock_07
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

If I understand you correctly, you're going to change pistons with the heads? If you're going to do that, then you might as well do the bottom end. I don't think I'd crack open the block for just pistons to go with my shinny new top end.

If you're planning on a complete new bottom end next year, it seems a huge waste to replace the pistons this year. Besides, if you're eventually going with FI, you'll want cams to match. Installing FI cams now (read N/A) will leave you with something you probably will not like until you get the SC on board.

Overall, I agree with building the motor a little first, but I'd go in the following order: bottom end, intake, SC, heads and cams. Just my .02
well they said with stage 2 cams u have to have notched pistons so either way i got to get them or get the ones in the car now notched
Old 05-11-2008, 03:22 PM
brock_07
1st Gear Member

so ive been lookin around and since everyone says build the bottom end first, would it be a good idea to just save up my money a little longer and buy a longblock with the stage 2 heads and cams already on it
Old 05-11-2008, 03:38 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

You don't need to notch stock pistons with any stage 2 cams. The typhoon is garbage and most report a power loss because of it. Longblock is a huge waste of money. You have to pay for all the labor put into it then pay for the extreme amount of shipping of a longblock. Check out http://www.cushmanmotorsports.com/for the heads and cams. Register with the site and you will get a code for free shipping.

I have a built block and am ordering patriot stage 3 heads and cms stage 3 blower cams from cushmans and I do not need to cut my pistons.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:44 PM
Daveo2k6
2nd Gear Member

Some stage 2 cams you do need to notch the pistons (COMP) At least from what i have heard. VT and Cushmans cams you wont need to though.

And buying a longblock would be a huge waste of money! Do you plan on doing the labor yourself?

What kinda horsepower you looking to be at?
Old 05-11-2008, 04:11 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

You can degree the comps so they don't need notched pistons.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:05 PM
brock_07
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daveo2k6

Some stage 2 cams you do need to notch the pistons (COMP) At least from what i have heard. VT and Cushmans cams you wont need to though.

And buying a longblock would be a huge waste of money! Do you plan on doing the labor yourself?

What kinda horsepower you looking to be at?
yeah i plan on do the install myself if i get the longblock and later on i plan on doin some type of f/i cant really deside on turbo or supercharger and i want to be in the 600 whp range when its all said and done

Quick Reply: heads/cams/intake