4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Wheels...New Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:48 PM
rezarxt
2nd Gear Member

Default New Wheels...New Problem

I'll be getting new wheels this week (Black 03 Cobras) and I wanted to confront another problem before the new wheels go on. My Brakes.

First of all, does anyone have any Idea what in the hell that is on my brake pads (all the pink ****)? Could it be the chemicals I use to clean my wheels? I use Black Magic Wheel Cleaner btw. Can I get it off somehow without ruining my brake pads in the process?

Second of all, if I paint them black this weekend, what part can I paint? Im very nervous that I may end up painting the wrong thing and ruining my brakes/wrecking my car. Do I sand it first? Do I need to take them off? How long does it take to take off/dry/put back on? Im looking for specifics or a write up if there is one already.

Last thing, what do you think the wheels are worth without the tires? My friend wants to buy them. I figured $150 for all 4 but its not worth selling them for that cheap. They are in decent shape. Minor curb rash. Brake Dust. Etc.

Thanks

Old 05-06-2008, 07:51 PM
mustangballer20
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New Wheels...New Problem

you could prolly get 25o-300 for them i dunno. Theres plenty of writeups on painting calipers, idk about all of your brakes but try searchin for them.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:04 PM
rezarxt
2nd Gear Member

I found one n/m
Old 05-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rezarxt

Yeah I searched for a write up but couldnt find one.
If you searched....THen you would have found something. Now go back and really do a search

Old 05-06-2008, 08:16 PM
rezarxt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

ORIGINAL: rezarxt

Yeah I searched for a write up but couldnt find one.
If you searched....THen you would have found something. Now go back and really do a search

Yeah I tried Caliper paint but there was nothing in the first 4 pages. Then I tried caliper painting write up and found one on the first couple pages. Does anyone have any idea what the pink stuff is or what I can do about it?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

well depending on how new the pads are i would say go ahead and change them. you are already going to have the calipers off painting them, you mind as well change you brake while you at it. just save you from having to take everything off again in a month or so. but that is just me. as far as the pink stuff, i have no idea. i wouldn't try cleaning them with any sort of harsh cleaner though. don't know how it will affect your bake pads.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:37 AM
rezarxt
2nd Gear Member

But it is the brake pads that are discolored isnt it so its as simple as changing them?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:25 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

It almost looks like brake fluid. Try cleaning it off and then see if it comes back. Check to make sure the banjo bolts are snug.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:02 PM
rezarxt
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I didnt think about that. Whats the best way to clean it off? Just use a wire brush on itwhen I take off the calipers? Or can that damage something?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

My guess would be that the pink stuff is disc-brake-quiet, it's usually orange or pinkish and is applied to the back of the pads to basically absorb the vibrations of the pads so the brakes don'tsqueal.
I've never heard of pink brake fluid btw?

Quick Reply: New Wheels...New Problem