4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

UPDATE: Car Fell Off Jack, Help! PICTURES!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Car Fell Off Jack, Help

Haha, I like the way you think....

I've always had a deviant mind but I just can't bring myself to actually do anything that shady.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

That sucks man. I'm with OX on this one what the hell where the jack stands doing in that area anyway?
Old 05-07-2008, 09:39 AM
KartR31487
2nd Gear Member

The jack stands were under the control arms. The jack was on the big flat metal permanetly attached skid plate looking thing. And no it wasnt on the radiator support. The momentem and angle of the car caused everything to slide forward I suppose.

JLG - Thanks for the offer. I may actually take you up on it. My dad works in Africa, and is gone 4-5 months at a time. I love working on the car by myself, but sometimes it gets pretty hard.I go to Lamar, and finished finals yesterday. PM Me.

I don't have full coverage, paid cash for the car new. I do have vandalism/comprehensive. BUT, I couldnt lie and cheat the insurance company, even if they are a little crooked.

Everyone else - Thanks for the suggestions and advice...it makes this a whole lot easier. I havent been out to look at the car yet, but my biggest initial worry is the steering. Its scary feeling your wheel spin the way mine does. Plus, I havent a clue what makes up the steering system yet, I've never touched it.

I do understand I'm lucky no one was under it. I really do. And I'm really really happy about that. This may be out of place here, but the car falling was a pretty emotional lick for me, and being as my dad has worked in Russia/Korea/Africa the last 10 years, he didnt quite understand. My birthday, senior year of highschool 3 years ago, I was in a fatal car accident with my girlfriend. Her parents bought me the car, and sense then they themselves are gone. Its just one of those things that gets you, which I'm sure some of you know what I mean.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:52 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Your Comprehensive coverage should cover this. They'll probably total the car but it should be covered. I'd check with your insurance agent before you go out of pocket to fix this.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:03 AM
KartR31487
2nd Gear Member

I'll give them a call. But I don't know much about it. Should I tell them the truth? That it fell off jackstands?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Melectrok
2nd Gear Member

Im gonna have to call BS. Airbags dont go off unless the car is running. I think there is more to this story then he is telling us. Perhaps someone started it up before adjusting the clutch cable, making the car take off in reverse?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:11 PM
jjandascog
1st Gear Member

Im gonna have to call BS. Airbags dont go off unless the car is running. I think there is more to this story then he is telling us. Perhaps someone started it up before adjusting the clutch cable, making the car take off in reverse?
Actually Air bags do not require the engine to be on or even the key to be in the ignition. They have a capacitance discharge system that stores a charge. they use that type of system so that in a crash if the cars electrical system is disabled the air bag system still has enough of a charge to deploy the air bags.
That is why when working on the air bag system you have to take the air bag fuse out anddisconnect the ground for at least one min.for the system to discharge. Also if they required theengine to be running, or even the key to be in the "ON" position then in they might not function in a wreck like they should.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Vegasfilter
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Melectrok

why would someone come on here, and make up a story like that? seriously, some of the posters in this forum make me pretty sick...its amazing that some people can actually think like they do.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

no just tell them exactly what had happen don't make up fordulent story. If you have full coverage you will just need to pay for deductible. If no full coverage then it is going to be a costly fix.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:51 PM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Comprehensive usually covers damage done to the vehicle in a non-collisionevent (fire, vandalism, tree falling on car etc.). Tell them the truth and it should be covered. 9 times out of 10 though if the airbags go off they'll total the car. And if you have all that front end damage on top of it I would say your ride is probably 100% totalled.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Car Fell Off Jack, Help! PICTURES!