4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

wow changed fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:22 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Default wow changed fuel filter

i have been having probs with skipping so i did a filter change... cheap and i have not done since purchase.... after the good gas came out there was dark reddish brown gas...... i wonder if the filter was factory.. all it says is made in tawaiin there was no in or out label on either side... car has 142K

today it was skipping so bad it would not move i had to pull over to let some ppl go by, cut car off and restarted it ran fine for a few more miles........no CEL yet
Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 PM
mustangballer20
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: wow changed fuel filter

umm thats not good bro
Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

so did you change it?!?!

and 99.9% of the filters say which way the flow its...should be alil arrow.. i bought a nappa one and it said flow with an arrow
Old 05-07-2008, 08:49 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

I had a similar problem happen to me. It was embarrassing having an old couple pass me on the interstate and flip me off because my car was sputtering. Anyway, changed the fuel filter and ran like a champ.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:17 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: timeformiller44

so did you change it?!?!

and 99.9% of the filters say which way the flow its...should be alil arrow.. i bought a nappa one and it said flow with an arrow
yes changed it... that's why i was wondering if it's factory no arrows or IN OUT written on it
Old 05-07-2008, 10:18 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02 Ninja

I had a similar problem happen to me. It was embarrassing having an old couple pass me on the interstate and flip me off because my car was sputtering. Anyway, changed the fuel filter and ran like a champ.
HAHA that was me today.... will find out tommorrow it only acts up when its 75 plus degrees outside.......
Old 05-07-2008, 11:22 PM
frizdank

So was it difficult to replace? Ive had a filter sitting in my garage for a few months cause i dont know how to replace it.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:41 PM
jmsjags
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frizdank

So was it difficult to replace? Ive had a filter sitting in my garage for a few months cause i dont know how to replace it.
it's really not bad at all. just lift the back end of your stang up with a jack (and make sure you use jackstands too). the filter will be right in front of the gas tank. just get on your stomach and crawl up under there. you should be able to see the filter pretty easily, it's right there in the open.

you will need a little plastic tool from the auto parts store to get the filter off though. i forgot what it's called but it should be on the tool aisle. it will say on the packaging "fuel filter removal tool" or something like that. shouldn't be too hard to find.

i changed mine with the help of my dad about a week ago. took us maybe 15 mins. the hardest part was trying to figure out how to get the OEM filter off
Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 AM
frizdank

Yeah, I was wondering about that. I havent changed mine yet cause I heard that you needed a special tool to get the filter off. But did you need to relieve the presure in the fuel lines? You can do that by the cut off switch in the trunk right?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Sounds like your car isn't metering the fuel properly at the injectors. Although the filter may have a little affect, the reason the system is pressurized is that there is a back up of fuel waiting to go into the combustion chamber so the dirty filters effect is minimal unless its clogged.

I'd check your injectors, Maf, IAT sensor, and your plugs. Normally if your fuel pump goes out it wont work at all.

Quick Reply: wow changed fuel filter