4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

noise from fuel pump ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:21 PM
msimboli

Default noise from fuel pump ???

i finally got my 96 gt vert fixed and back on the road after being parked for six years. i notice that there is whining noise from the back of the car when idleing. i think its the fuel pump. it kindda sounds like a blower, lol, but not real loud. is this common w/ the model year. i think it made the noise ever since i bought the car but i haven't driven it in so long i can't remeber. thanks for any input.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:21 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Default RE: noise from fuel pump ???

Mine was making that noise so I replaced it. And the brand new Ford fuel pump that has been running in my car for 3 years has been doing it since new.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

its not so common on in tank fuel pumps, the fuel helps to dull the noise. that being said you may have a clogged fuel filter from sitting so long. or you may have been running on empty in your fuel tank. either way it really depends how loud it is and if there are any drivability problems.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:42 PM
msimboli

i plan on changing the fuel filter amoung the other stuff on the listof things to check or replace since its been sitting so long. thanks for the input guys.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:57 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

usually a sign that it will go soon. I'd replace it before you get stuck on the road somewhere.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:10 PM
msimboli

thinking about about it, aren't those fuel filters in the tank w/ the pump anyway. if i have to drop it to change the filter it would be dumb to do that and change the pump and upgrade it for possible future mods
Old 05-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pete1665

usually a sign that it will go soon. I'd replace it before you get stuck on the road somewhere.
yes and no, you should hear my inline fuel pump scream at idle. a noise alone is not an idicator unless it didnt happen before, something new. you may not have even noticed it before so its hard to rule out unless its super loud.

ORIGINAL: msimboli

thinking about about it, aren't those fuel filters in the tank w/ the pump anyway. if i have to drop it to change the filter it would be dumb to do that and change the pump and upgrade it for possible future mods
if you do drop the tank (in not sure where the stock filter is) buy a new oem pump and filter and if you feel you need more fuel (which you wont) you can add an inline pump.
best bet, just drop the tank and replace it.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:01 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

There are two filters. One on the bottom of the pump itself (in the tank) and one right in front of the tank on the fuel line. The second mentioned is the one that people mean when they say change your filter. And you should definitely change it to see if it helps before dropping the tank and swapping pumps.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:13 AM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

tbirdscwd is right. The one that everyone talks about is the on that's right between the fuel tank and axle. The other one ison the bottom of the fuel pump, it's called the particular filter.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Whamo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

There are two filters. One on the bottom of the pump itself (in the tank) and one right in front of the tank on the fuel line. The second mentioned is the one that people mean when they say change your filter. And you should definitely change it to see if it helps before dropping the tank and swapping pumps.
+1
after reading up on this subject i would say try this first as well.

Quick Reply: noise from fuel pump ???