4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

advancing spark with sct tuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:54 AM
00raging stang
4th Gear Member

Default advancing spark with sct tuner

does this do anything? i was told by bumping up the spark that it advances the timing it is set at 0 right now which is the way brenspees had it should i bump it up it goes up to 4 but i was told not to put it up all the way, would increasing the spark actually do anything for me? can it hurt the car in anyway?

Old 05-18-2008, 03:12 AM
Fleet99GT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: advancing spark with sct tuner

If you bump it up you ave to run 93 octane. I would bump it all the way up. Drive the car and if you dont hear any pinging or knocking you're fine. If you do hear pinging or knocking back it down a notch until you dont hear it anymore. Advancing your spark timing can give you a good 10-12 hp pretty much throughout all rpms.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:17 AM
bjh061487
3rd Gear Member

can i ask why you have two posts about the exact same topic? one here and one in general
https://mustangforums.com/m_5076483/tm.htm

one of the mods probably moved it because it wasn't a tech related question for here and put it in the general section
Old 05-18-2008, 09:56 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

give me a minute and i will use the search feature for you, to find my answer to this from the day before yesterday. this way i can just cut and paste the answer instead of writing it all again.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:59 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MoKo_04GT

alright....here is the deal. you can bump the timing up as high as you want. the higher you put it, the more horsepower you will get out of your tuner. what you want to make sure of tho, is that you dont hear your engine knocking/pinging/or making any other strange noises that it DID NOT make before the adjustments. so if you hear it ping...then back off the timing by one degree and try it again. if it still pings, then keep backing off 1 degree untill it doesnt, then you will be at your peak point.

now something else you HAVE TO take into considertaion when doing this. the higher you put your timing, the higher your octane of gas needs to be.

your a/f ratio, i wouldnt mess with it too much, b/c you dont have any way of knowing what it is at right now. thats more to be messed with when you get a dyno tune.

here is how i run mine....brenspeed 93 octane tune....i fill up on 93 and add 2 gallons of 101 ocatane (the sell both at the shell i go to), then on the tuner i have mine turned as high as it will go on global spark, and as high as it will go all thru out the rpm range, and my car does not knock or ping what-so-ever, and runs like a bat out of hell.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:02 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MoKo_04GT

ORIGINAL: avlon06

anyone done this with a diablo tuner? just dont want to fugg things up
SCT....Diablo....Sniper....steeda timing adjuster, etc....

it doesnt matter what the brand is, its all done the same way....spark advance, is spark advance.

the whole key is just making sure you dont hear any NEW noises AFTER you have made the adjustments.... ie: knocking, pinging, any other ab-normal noises. like stated earlier, if you hear it ping, back off one degree, and then try again. if it still pings, keep backing off 1 degree untill there is no knock/ping.

like i said with mine its advanced all the way up, on both global settings and thru out the rpm band....now i HAVE NOT tried the timing all the way up on just strait 93. it might ping, who knows. like i said i usually add 2-3gallons of 101 octane to my 93, which allows me to buimp my timing even higher (than brents performance tune already has), which makes more horsepower...and i have never heard her ping once.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:48 AM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

thanks moko i think you clarified that for all us noobs out there who are wondering about spark advanced lol..

i do have one more question tho, the fan speed, should that be adjusted at all or just leave it how it is?
Old 05-18-2008, 10:54 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

i actually have mine due to come on 10degress cooler/earlier than it was set at. in both low and high fan speeds.

=]

haha i was just bustin the op about using the search feature =]~
Old 05-18-2008, 11:10 AM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

lol all good man...was kinda werid tho why we had so many spark advanced threads tho this like past week or so
Old 05-18-2008, 11:13 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

haha i know....tuner sales are up!

Quick Reply: advancing spark with sct tuner