4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

strange noise after gears installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:36 AM
FoDaddy

Default strange noise after gears installed

I just got my car back from the transmission shop. I had 4.10 gears installed and all the bearings in the axle were replaced. When I called the guy to see if it was ready for pickup, he said it was but it was making a strange noise. He said he thought it may have been gear howl, but he opened up the housing and double checked everything, but everything looked ok. This noise sounds like a low pitched squeak and it only happens when you let off the gas and the car is coasting. When accelerating it doesn't make any noise. When it is making the noise you can feel the gear shifter kinda pulsate in tune with the noise. It does not matter how fast or slow the car is going, the frequency and pitch of the squeak doesn't seem to change. The guy who put in the gears thinks it may be chipped gear in the transmission or a bad bearing in the transmission. The car has about 82k on the clock. Anyone have any idea what it could be?
Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: strange noise after gears installed

to me, just from saying it only happens when letting off the gas, it would be the gears whinning. there is always a possibility of it being something else, since you said it doesnt seem to change pitch or anything with different speeds and whatnot. being that it didnt make the noise before, and all he did was replace the gears and do the bearing/install kit... he is saying transmission because he didnt touch the tranny, and wouldnt be liable... basicaly he messed up and doesnt want to be left to blame. imo, thats what is sounds like.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:06 AM
lgwilson
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoDaddy

This noise sounds like a low pitched squeak and it only happens when you let off the gas and the car is coasting.
I'm no gear installer or drivetrain expert, but thisis a classic symptom of a poor or improper gear install. Bottom line, it didn't make the sound before the install. Good luck trying to get him to make this right because it does sound like he is trying to deflect liability.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:17 AM
02ToRcHgTSLP
2nd Gear Member

mine does the same thing, the gears still work and everything runs good just makes a low turbine noise when off the gas. IMO this is caused because the gears and put in tight because they put the tight one in instead of the next one up. So far I havent had any problems and its been 3 months and i took it to the track and got .5 off my time so they work. What brand of gear do you have? I got motive put in and maybe its them? I do have ford racing 4.10's but i've decided to just keep the motives in because i got use to the noise( its not very loud at all) playing the radio at all drowns it out and you cant hear it outside of the car.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 AM
FoDaddy

I have Ford Racing gears; a Motive install kit was used, along with Royal Purple. The guy doing the work said he put two bottles of friction modifier in along with the Royal Purple which struck me as odd since Royal Purple is supposed to have that stuff already in it. My car runs great, but the noise is irritating and is quite pronounced. I've called the guy back and he said he wants to open up the transmission and see if there is a bad bearing in there or a chipped gear. To me this sounds suspicious. And I can't help but think he's just going to take another crack at setting up the rear end again. And charge me for doing something else whilst trying to correct his mistake. The shop I used was recommended by a local speed shop, and guy doing the work seemed pretty knowledgeable. They weren't the cheapest either, they charged $350 for the labor (I had all the parts). I'm kinda hesitant about taking the car back to them.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:42 AM
02ToRcHgTSLP
2nd Gear Member

ya i used motive gears, motive install and bearing rebuild kit along with 2 bottles of royal purple, no friction modifier. I got it done for free actually by my gf and one of her dads friends. So I got pix of everything and she said they put the tighter one in because its better for it to be tighter than lose. The motive install kits comes with awhole bunch of different size parts and they only use the one that fits the best. Sometimes like in my case they go one too small or one to big but shouldnt hurt much but it was annoying at first. seems to me you have no other options other than to take it back to him unless you wanna pay 350 somewhere else. Also you will have to get more royal purple if they open ur pumpkin to mess with the gears again for it will all be drained again.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:50 PM
FoDaddy

I just got off the phone with the guy and he says it'll be $450 in labor to simply drop the transmission and look it over. I'm really getting a feeling that something is up.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:17 PM
jhell00
Possible Scammer

id just take it somewhere else and see what they think?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:53 PM
FoDaddy

Yeah, I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Does anyone know a reputable transmission/driveline shop in the central VA area?
Old 05-19-2008, 03:17 PM
brian1570
Blart

sorry im from texas, but i will say this...it is pretty hard to get the gears to stop whining once they start. u pretty much get one shot at it, once the teeth start to wear and its starts howling, the teeth will never quite match up perfectly. hence it will always howl. our camaro sounds like an air rade siren, it has a rock crusher for a tranny and a 3.7312 bolt w/ posi that whines like a little bitch. and thats just the way it is.

Quick Reply: strange noise after gears installed