4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

steering rack bushings...help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Default RE: need help quick..gotta have the car together in 3 hours

how do i disconnect the steering column? i remembered to lock the wheel like you said....but cliffyk has a writeup to changing these and in his he just slides those metal tubes right out...i have the clearance to change the bushings if that tube is out, but i cant get it out...look at this, its a witeup for fixing something, but it tells how to remove the bushings

http://paladinmicro.com/MustangSteeringRackFix.htm
Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 PM
TeamCobra
1st Gear Member

Those metal rods aren't moving, short of destroying them. Mine were locked solid.

Disconnect the steeringcolumn from the rack, it's much simpler (but still not cake). Car is up, must remove drivers side tire. Get a light, behind the plastic splash gaurd you will be able to see a joint where the column (shaft with steering wheel attached) enters the rack, have someone turn the wheel until you see a bolt at this joint, its not very big. Remove the bolt, maybe mark with chalk on each side where it will comeapart before you seperate it, it's splined but not hard to figure out where it will go back together. Pull the rack foward to seperate it from the shaft. The only thing that will be holding the rack in place will be the hoses and tie rod ends.

I used a set of offset bushings, for bump steer correction with my lowering kit. If anybody had a copy of the installation instructions, or you could find them on the internet that might help. And steeda has a solid one piece bushing that replaces the front/back rubber ones, which look like they would be cake to install. Just remove the old ones and slide the one-piece in. (see link)

http://www.steeda.com/products/alumi...k_bushings.php
Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

those are still 2 piece bushings ibelieveand thanks for the help, but that seems like a ton of work if its not something i have to do...i dont know much about steering and suspension crap and i dont want to break anything...the tubes move around, theyre loose but at the same time theyre like stuck...im going to PM cliffyk and ask him if theres a trick to it i suppose....if i cant get it soon ill try it your way...i picked up another vehicle yesterday so its not a big deal to get it done asap anymore
Old 05-20-2008, 09:01 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...t=CIMG0311.flv
Old 05-20-2008, 09:33 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

ok guys thanks for all the help....i finally got it...put a screw driver behind the metal shafts and pryed them forward...they came out finally...there was a lot of engine oil on the driver side one..my car has a very slight leak (about a quart every 3 months) thats why im replacing them, the rubber bushing was ruined by the oil...not sure where its leaking from, but ill try to figure that out later...anyways, i got it finished finally...thanks!