4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Loudest cat back system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:54 AM
1999 GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Loudest cat back system?

i think a mac catback would be best for you.. they're pretty loud and they sound good because they're chambered mufflers
Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

Prepare yourselves for the Opinion of the Pounder
ORIGINAL: devongarver
just listen to some on youtube.com and youll get the idea
That is a VERY good idea, that way you'll have an idea of what you are looking at and won't feel like you made a mistake (common occurence with exhaust) later on.

Let me preface this with one quick thought: I LIKE the way you're thinking here - the louder the better! If it's not scaring women, children and old folks, bothering the neighbors and gettin the attention of the 5-0, I say there's room for improvement[sm=icon_rock.gif]
If you get church folk praying for you on Sunday morning because your car's too loud, you've made it.
If your wife/gf comes out and says, "That has GOT to GO!!" you've made it! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Loudest = muffler delete. I've heard one 2V done this way, and I can't say that I didn't like it. ****** was LOUD & RASPY, and I like em loud & raspy!
2nd loudest = SLP LM1 or LM2. Also = raspy and a little 'tinny' at upper RPMs almost like a throatier fart can. I like it, though because it's LOUD! [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Either one of these can have their raspiness offset a smidge with 4" tips (adds just the slightest touch of throat) or in the case of the delete, flaring and welding in a piece of 3.5" or 4" pipe, or going with 3" or 3.5" from the mid to the 4" tips. But this will also make it LOUDER, which is GOOD! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Loud = straight through weld ins (SLPs, glasspacks/cherry bomb straights- don't knock em till you've heard em - Stingers)
Loud = Magnaflow magnapacks
Loud = Borla Stinger catback
Throaty = MAC
Rumbly low but ***** out at WOT = Flowmaster
Rumbly and a little quieter = weld-in Flows
Quiet and fairy-like = stock. Might as well cut your ***** off...
Old 05-20-2008, 11:09 AM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1999 GT

i think a mac catback would be best for you.. they're pretty loud and they sound good because they're chambered mufflers
Well he already has flowmasters and he wants it louder, Mac is just barely louder than Rustmasters.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: groundpounder

Prepare yourselves for the Opinion of the Pounder
ORIGINAL: devongarver
just listen to some on youtube.com and youll get the idea
That is a VERY good idea, that way you'll have an idea of what you are looking at and won't feel like you made a mistake (common occurence with exhaust) later on.

Let me preface this with one quick thought: I LIKE the way you're thinking here - the louder the better! If it's not scaring women, children and old folks, bothering the neighbors and gettin the attention of the 5-0, I say there's room for improvement[sm=icon_rock.gif]
If you get church folk praying for you on Sunday morning because your car's too loud, you've made it.
If your wife/gf comes out and says, "That has GOT to GO!!" you've made it! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Loudest = muffler delete. I've heard one 2V done this way, and I can't say that I didn't like it. ****** was LOUD & RASPY, and I like em loud & raspy!
2nd loudest = SLP LM1 or LM2. Also = raspy and a little 'tinny' at upper RPMs almost like a throatier fart can. I like it, though because it's LOUD! [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Either one of these can have their raspiness offset a smidge with 4" tips (adds just the slightest touch of throat) or in the case of the delete, flaring and welding in a piece of 3.5" or 4" pipe, or going with 3" or 3.5" from the mid to the 4" tips. But this will also make it LOUDER, which is GOOD! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Loud = straight through weld ins (SLPs, glasspacks/cherry bomb straights- don't knock em till you've heard em - Stingers)
Loud = Magnaflow magnapacks
Loud = Borla Stinger catback
Throaty = MAC
Rumbly low but ***** out at WOT = Flowmaster
Rumbly and a little quieter = weld-in Flows
Quiet and fairy-like = stock. Might as well cut your ***** off...

finally,...someone who feels the same as me.woohoo![sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 05-20-2008, 12:04 PM
fobra570
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: avexhype

SLP LoudMouth 1's will be perfect for you and with the stock midpipe they will sounds great.
just put it on my girl's car sounds great would def go with it again w/ stock h pipe and i have slp catted X with slp lm1 full system and it sounds great to i have some sounds clips in profile
Old 05-20-2008, 12:07 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

sounds good to me!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:24 PM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks, Pounder! That was a fun read. I want loud...I want to pass V6's and make their owners cry. Today I decided to unbolt the pipes from the H pipe and drive around with the cats dumped. I have to admit I kinda liked it.[sm=lildevil.gif]A bit truck-like, but not bad. Should sound better going all the way to the tips. I think I'm going to try some straight thru weld ins tomorrow to see how I like that, andthen upgrade to a full cat back system later. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Can anyone help me pick a goodexhaust setup? I don't want magnapaks or SLP LM1/2's because they are too loud but I want something with a nice non-raspy keep tone that won't drone at crusing speeds. If it's a whole catback then I want something that will work well with my stock H pipe as well as a catted X later on.

I heard a chambered setup is the way to go for me, I am pretty sure that magnaflow makes chambered catbacks (the last time I checked on americanmuscle.com) and I think the SLP power-flo's are chambered too. Are they any good? Or how about Steeda's catback or pypes?

Thanks so much,
Brandon
Old 05-20-2008, 02:46 PM
jv101
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fobra570

SLP LoudMouth 1's will be perfect for you and with the stock midpipe they will sounds great.
just put it on my girl's car sounds great would def go with it again w/ stock h pipe and i have slp catted X with slp lm1 full system and it sounds great to i have some sounds clips in profile
just watched your exhuast vids. i like the sound of the ones with the LM1's.. it doesnt sound like snap crackle and pop like most of the other ones! is that because of the catted x pipe?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jv101

ORIGINAL: fobra570

just watched your exhuast vids. i like the sound of the ones with the LM1's.. it doesnt sound like snap crackle and pop like most of the other ones! is that because of the catted x pipe?
i have the exact same exhaust setup, it sounds just like mine. Really good! the cats make the difference imo.

Quick Reply: Loudest cat back system?