4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

grinding going into 5th????

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:05 PM
maxersloan
2nd Gear Member

Default grinding going into 5th????

okay when i shift to 5th (and sometimes downshifting to 4th) i get this bad grinding sound/feel. if i let the rpms die down below 1400 it doesn't do it but that's no fun ... what is the problem and what will it take to fix it?
Old 05-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

Default RE: grinding going into 5th????

Hrrmm.. well from the way you describe it, it almost sounds like a synchro maybe.. which tranny do you have? I know the 3650's are notorious for losing 2nd gear, though I'm fairly sure the T-45, T-5 and the T3550 have the same synchro issues. At least that's what it sounds like. Synchro's can be rebuilt, and the kits are usually pretty cheap, but if you can't do the labor yourself, the labor is the expensive part, because the tranny has to be torn down to fix that.

Now this is just me, so anybody that knows better correct me here, but if you ARE having synchro issues, I wouldn't do a whole lot of powershifting or high rpm shifting till you get that fixed, because ford's shift forks are notoriously weak too, and you DON'T want to break that or the tranny won't work at all. That's just an educated guess though broham..
Old 05-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Burtonsnow157
3rd Gear Member

yeah sounds kinda like synchros. i had the same thing in second gear and 3rd gear a while back with my 3650
Old 05-27-2008, 06:35 PM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

i grind alot going into fifth .. .clutch all the way to the floor but only when i shift at lower rpms, and wehn it is moist .. very wierd. .but i think your problem sounds liek a synchro and mine probably is too
Old 05-27-2008, 06:38 PM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

how many miles are on your tranny?
Old 05-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Topdog922
1st Gear Member

ya i got a t-45 mine does the same thing. not all the time. im more than likely going to rebuild it.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 PM
maxersloan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Subotai_95

Hrrmm.. well from the way you describe it, it almost sounds like a synchro maybe.. which tranny do you have? I know the 3650's are notorious for losing 2nd gear, though I'm fairly sure the T-45, T-5 and the T3550 have the same synchro issues. At least that's what it sounds like. Synchro's can be rebuilt, and the kits are usually pretty cheap, but if you can't do the labor yourself, the labor is the expensive part, because the tranny has to be torn down to fix that.

Now this is just me, so anybody that knows better correct me here, but if you ARE having synchro issues, I wouldn't do a whole lot of powershifting or high rpm shifting till you get that fixed, because ford's shift forks are notoriously weak too, and you DON'T want to break that or the tranny won't work at all. That's just an educated guess though broham..
im not sure which tranny i have... i remember reading about how ford switched to a different tranny midway through the 01s... how do i check which one i have? and i dont do any powershifting or high rpm shifting anymore for that reason... it kinda sucks but its just what i gotta do tokeep **** from breaking haha
Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 PM
maxersloan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: IownaMustangNow

how many miles are on your tranny?
not sure... there is 84,000 on the spedometer and i dont believe the previous owner rebuilt the tranny (i've only had it since 83K)
Old 05-28-2008, 02:36 AM
Subotai_95
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: maxersloan

ORIGINAL: Subotai_95

im not sure which tranny i have... i remember reading about how ford switched to a different tranny midway through the 01s... how do i check which one i have? and i dont do any powershifting or high rpm shifting anymore for that reason... it kinda sucks but its just what i gotta do tokeep **** from breaking haha
Hrrmm.. If the synchros are going out brudda it doesn't really matter which tranny you have because it would be doing the same thing regardless. The only two trannies they used on the 01's were the T45 and the T3650, I THINK.. I haven't heard too many people say good things about either one, though there are companies that make aftermarker billet rebuilds of T45's that are a lot stronger than the stockers they used. If the rest of the tranny is still good, I would look into getting a synchro rebuild kit before too much longer though. Keep grinding them like that and you'll end up shearing all the teeth off of the gear brudda, and that's expensive..

And as far as finding out which tranny you have, you should be able to get the build date of your car with a VIN decoder online, using your VIN number. If it was built anytime after about mid march/early April of 01, you probably have the 3650, if before that, probably the T45 brudda..
Old 06-04-2008, 05:33 PM
coop7
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the synchro goin out...
Mines goin out into 5th too...
[&:]
How much does a synchro rebuild cost?
Cheaper to just buy a newer better tranny?
&nbsp\\;
-Coop