4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:38 PM
dowork
2nd Gear Member

Default exhaust questions

im plannin on getting a header back exhaust wat other parts will i need besides the headers and the exhaust system itself? and if i just decide to go wit a cat back for now would it be harder to switch the headers later?
Old 06-03-2008, 06:46 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust questions

catback now won't be a problem if you do your mid pipe and headers later. You have to decide if you are going to have cats on your midpipe or not, and whether you are running longtubes or shorty headers...do LT's....
Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 PM
dowork
2nd Gear Member

i no im gettin a borla exhaust system not sure about headers and ill prob have cats cuz cops around me are really strict when it comes to loud exhausts? what are the shorty headers for? and is LT the company or a type of header dumb question i no ive seen them somewhere before i believe
Old 06-03-2008, 07:11 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

LT=longtubes..headers. If you get shorties they will use your stock h pipe and you won't need to buy one and then you could just bolt on your borla cat back. with midpipes like isaid you could keep your stock one or get one with highflow cats, or if you prefera different sound and a 2 HP increase you could get a catted x pipe. The onlyissue you will have is the headers, with shorties it's just bolt them in, they will be a pain. or go LT's then you have to do a lot more. shorties will get you like 10 RWHP, Longtubes will gain much more like double that.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:17 PM
dowork
2nd Gear Member

ok so say i got with lts and catted x pipe wat else will i need besides the exhaust system? and wats the difference between a h pipe and x pipe? and would you recommend the borla stingers or the quiiter borla system?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:39 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

borla is quality, I'm a flowmaster guy, but go to youtube.com and search for mustang gt with borla exhaust and mustang gt with h pipe, then with x pipe. There are tons of clips to help you decide which sound you want. h pipe is what you have and as the name implies it is shaped like a H, and x pipe shaped like a X, the x pipe only gains a few more HP's over h pipe though so it's personal preference.
With LT's the install is longer and you may need to shim the motor mounts with washers to keep the headers from rubbing your steering shaft. Also the oxygen sensors will be moved lower and back so you will need extenders for those.
Some people that go with a new midpipe with high flow cats need to replace their oxygen sensors to avoid a service engine soon light coming on.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 PM
dowork
2nd Gear Member

o ok thanks so shorty headers are easier to install and less work. where is the cat before the x or h pipe right? just checking but i believe it goes header cat x or h pipe then w/e system i get
Old 06-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Trob
1st Gear Member

the cats are on the x or h pipe.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:44 PM
pitmitch910
2nd Gear Member

the motor has to be lifted out a bit to install headers, thats why they can be a chore on a 4.6, if u do longtubes, then wait to get a mid-pipe bc it'll have to be a shortened one, so u dont wana go waste money on a mid pipe for shorties if ur guna go order another later on.and if ur worried about cops being strict about loudthen go with a quieter cat back, and a or/x or if they are strict about emissions then get a catted midpipe and a louder cat back, youtube is good to hear the differences in set-ups, x-pipe= rasp h-pipe= deep throaty tone.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 PM
dowork
2nd Gear Member

you have 2 lift the engine? screw that lol im not tryin 2 get into all that i was planning on gettin the borla stingers and an h pipe and mayb basanni headers

Quick Reply: exhaust questions