4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Automatic upshifting!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 03:48 PM
YellowGTMD

Default Automatic upshifting!!

HI

I have what might be considered a dumb question, but please bear with me, I just joined in today!!!

I have a 99 GT with an auto transmission, and while reading some other threads everyone agreed that downshifting from neutral to drive while reving would only harm the tranny. As everyone is familiar while on full throttle, the tranny still upshifts way early than what I would like. My question is, Would it also hurt the tranny if a start at D1, accelerate to my desired RPMs, upshift to D2 manually and so on until I get to the regular D so that this way I can make the tranny shift at the RPMs that I want??? I got this idea from reading my wifes accord manual which says that with the auto trans you can manually change gears while driving (sort of like manual) going D1->D2->D3->D4.

Thanks for all the input
Old 04-29-2005, 03:55 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic upshifting!!

invest in a shift kit. it'll be worth your while and you'll love it.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Obselite
3rd Gear Member

shift kit and a handheld tuner
you can change your shiftpoints with it and change rpm limits
Old 04-29-2005, 04:39 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Obselite

^^^^ This is what you need to do!!! Do both of these and you will really be happy you own a auto!!

The auto does not like the constant up/down shifting if you are doing it yourself. I also believe (can not remember for sure, only tried it a couple of times) that if you are shifting your car and you reach the set rpm's that the computer shifts at it will shift the car for you even if you do not move the gear selector. I know that if you are down shifting your auto and are over a set rpm/speed the computer will not let the car down shift to what gear you selected until you are under that set speed/rpm.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Acer2428
Site Mod

ORIGINAL: DIVER8374

ORIGINAL: Obselite

^^^^ This is what you need to do!!! Do both of these and you will really be happy you own a auto!!

The auto does not like the constant up/down shifting if you are doing it yourself. I also believe (can not remember for sure, only tried it a couple of times) that if you are shifting your car and you reach the set rpm's that the computer shifts at it will shift the car for you even if you do not move the gear selector. I know that if you are down shifting your auto and are over a set rpm/speed the computer will not let the car down shift to what gear you selected until you are under that set speed/rpm.
Not in my car, I have bounced off the rev limiter before!
Old 04-29-2005, 05:08 PM
YellowGTMD

OK now what exactly does the shift kit do?? and will I mess up my tranny if I do this once in a while in the mean time I get the shift kit??

Thanks
Old 04-29-2005, 05:18 PM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

It should not be that hard on you trans if you only do it once in a while. Read the other posts on here about the shift kits, I believe there are 2 threads going right now. I started one of them and talk about my shift kit and how much and what it does. If you have any other questions after reading thoes threads just pm me and I will answer it as best I can.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:19 PM
97STANG
2nd Gear Member

just go back a few posts! especially from DRIVER8374. He has been telling all about what it does! just do a search!!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Try these guys for a shift kit. Good reputation:

http://www.baumannengineering.com/aodeupgr.htm
Old 04-29-2005, 09:36 PM
Silver4.6
3rd Gear Member

get the shift kit and hand held tuner and just raise your shift points. Dont worry about doing damage to your car, I had a ford lightning and every puts the shift kits in them, and everyone has said that it also is better for the tranny/clutch. not 100% sure why, but its true. With the hand held tuner just dont firm up your shifts too too much, I wouldnt think that would be too great.

Quick Reply: Automatic upshifting!!