4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clanking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:58 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Default Clanking Noise

OK well i tried using the search function but it hasnt been working at all(errors of some sort) for a while now. So heres the problem, last few weeks i am noticing more and more a clanking sound when i start and stop. Its like the sound of the play in the drivetrain, but louder. I can actually kinda feel it as if something is hitting the floor board. My thoughts are the transmission mount. Wheres the best/cheapest place to get one? Is there a specific type that is better? Or is this even the problem at all?
Old 06-14-2008, 03:08 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Clanking Noise

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Is energy suspension a decent brand? Its the only brand i have found so far with the mounts for my car.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:55 PM
jjandascog
1st Gear Member

I will sell you my prothane transmisison mount for 30 plus shipping. I used it for about 10 miles, transmitted to much noise and vibration for my taste for a DD. Looks brand new!!
Old 06-14-2008, 05:03 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

youre better of sticking with the stock transmission mount for the least amount of vibration. 40-50$ at your ford dealer, thats really the only place youre finding it. I personally think prothane mounts are pure crap, crap crap crap, unless you wanna feel like your tranny is falling out when you shift hard. Only reason I'd use one is for whats been said above. I despise this kid trying to sell you his used one that he removed because it sucked 'for his taste'.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

anyone else out there? i travel alot for work so i still havent gotten home yet to get the car up on stands and see, is there anything else that could make this noise? Are there any other opinions on mounts?
Thanks
Old 06-19-2008, 10:03 PM
k2boarder3187
1st Gear Member

just buy a stock replacement tranny mount, same **** went on with my car and i bought a replacement at my local autoparts store, it was really cheap
Old 06-21-2008, 10:59 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

every local shop i talk to has no clue what this partis. it doesnt even have a number listed in their system. Is this a dealer only part?
Old 06-22-2008, 03:23 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

well i just installed aftermarket tranny mount and it didnt make any difference at all. I tried looking for things that could make the clank noise im hearing but the best i could see is the driveshaft when i try to turn it makes the same noise. The U-joints doint seem to have any play in them, when i move the driveshaft, the transmission tail shaft moves and the input on the rearend moves. All together, no play in the shaft or u-joints. Could there be something wrong with my tranny? The shaft rotates about 1/4 inch or so. Is this normal?
Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 PM
shwert
1st Gear Member

i am having the SAME problem and have been trying to chase it forever! when i turn sharp at slow speed it makes a clanking noise that you can barely feel in the shifter. it also does it on deceleration and slow speed. it goes away under acceleration. i was thinking it was some rattling having to do with the tranny mount too, but its not loose or anything. then i checked the driveshaft also, and have the same amount of play, about 1/4 inch. so then i thought it may be a tail shaft bearing or bushing, whichever it has, which may be allowing the driveshaft to move around after the transmission. any input would be GREATLY appreciated as i travel a lot also and find it difficult to find the time to further diagnose the problem
Old 02-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Check your rear upper control arms. I had one that was loose and it clunked alot. As soon as I tightened it up the clunk went away. I probably need to replace them both, but for now, no clunk.

Quick Reply: Clanking Noise