4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Update: Intake NOT Cracked..Why Leaking???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:22 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default Update: Intake NOT Cracked..Why Leaking???

*sigh*

After getting the alternator out of the way, and pulling off the thermostat housing *and waiting for the coolant to bubble out* it looks like the intake might not even be cracked where I thought it was.

If there was indeed a crack, wouldnt I be able to see it from above where the edge of the plastic is? (im bad at visuals, so imagine if you were looking down on a block of plastic, if it were cracked on the outside, you'd be able to see it from above right?)

Could I have a bad intake manifold gasket or somethign?

if it's not one thing, it's another

so , i dont know what to do
Old 06-23-2008, 12:07 AM
briansgonnawin
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Coolant Leak if Intake NOT Cracked

i dunno you situation buy so where do you see the leak? if you can even see the leak at all. Do you just know that coolant is leaking?

Why not add the dye to the coolant, run the car for a few min then UV light it and see if you are having trouble determining where it is
Old 06-23-2008, 12:10 AM
72MachOne99GT

it was coming from either where the thermostat housing meets the intake, or where the intake met the head...

cant figure anything else out now cause i've got half the top end *above the manifold* off of the car...

I'm just curious as to whether a bad intake manifold gasket would cause a slow coolant leak...

car's pissing me off to be forthright
Old 06-23-2008, 03:17 AM
ajs88

Put your upper hose on with out a thermostat in it. Start it up and look to see where it ispumping out. When mine cracked it literally took me 15 min. to find the crack when I hadthe manifoldoff the car. My manifold cracked on the bottom side of the front coolant crossover.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:09 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

mine cracked on the inside of the intake manifold where the thermostat sits...didnt even see that it was cracked until i removed the intake...looked like it was leaking out of the bolt holes, but when i pulled the manifold out there was a 3 inch crack
Old 06-23-2008, 08:17 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Since you've got things apart, and aren't really able to start the engine, can you take some pictures??

Also, is it weeping out, or flowing out??

JT
Old 06-23-2008, 09:32 AM
72MachOne99GT

It HAD to have been barely seaping out.

I'll try to get some pictures today after I've cleaned it up a bit more.

I lost a fairly good amount after pulling the upper radiator hose and thermostat housing off the top of the thermostat.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:56 AM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

I would don't even mess with a plastic intake if that's what you still have. I thought mine was ok until catastrophic failure andcoolantwater gushed out of the crossover, so good thing i was only a block away.

I would say just get the new aluminum intake. Your intake will fail pretty soon, if you have coolant leaking already from it.

Unless you're looking for an excuse to replace your engine haha.

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

*sigh*

After getting the alternator out of the way, and pulling off the thermostat housing *and waiting for the coolant to bubble out* it looks like the intake might not even be cracked where I thought it was.

If there was indeed a crack, wouldnt I be able to see it from above where the edge of the plastic is? (im bad at visuals, so imagine if you were looking down on a block of plastic, if it were cracked on the outside, you'd be able to see it from above right?)

Could I have a bad intake manifold gasket or somethign?

if it's not one thing, it's another

so , i dont know what to do
Old 06-23-2008, 03:24 PM
72MachOne99GT

well, i ordered a new intake with the aluminum crossover last friday..it should be here tomorrow

it's just that I'm pretty sure the leak was not coming from a cracked old intake...

so im curious to if i just replace the intake, and make sure the gaskets are good, will i just develop the same slow leak
Old 06-23-2008, 05:48 PM
72MachOne99GT

Update:

Got the manifold pulled today after going ahead and draining the coolant.

Looks like the manifold is still in good shape. I don't see any inside/outside/front/back/left/right/top/bottom cracks of any sort.

So I'm not really sure why or where the leak was coming from.

The intake gaskets look find on the passenger side while the gasket on the driver side seem to be wet and maybe green from coolant.

Could I have been leaking coolant from that gasket, and only been able to see it from up front where the thermostat is?

Don't really know what to do guys...

Quick Reply: Update: Intake NOT Cracked..Why Leaking???