4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Boy was i Took!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Boy was i Took!!

The dealership probably had no idea what rear end was in the car.When they[/align]do a trade appraisal.They likely would never check that. I think you're out of luck[/align]my friend.[/align]
Old 06-24-2008, 02:28 PM
DIY
2nd Gear Member

You should investigate the title and vin number of your car. You would definitely have a case if the vin number is that of a v6 and the car was represent -by the dealer- as a Gt.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:39 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

I know in the state of Massachusetts (as with a lot of other U.S. States, even though it doesn't apply to Canada per se), even using the "As-Is," clause doesn't completely defer the previous owner of defects and issues that arise.. In MA, there was something called the "Consumer Protection Act," which states that any person, purchasing goods in MA, are entitled to a 7-day, risk free purchase of goods over a certain value (to include automobiles). This law stated, that during the 7-day period, if anything breaks, or anything prevents the vehicle from operating properly, the previous owner is either liable to repair the vehicle, or refund the purchase price, no-harm no-foul.

This is COMPLETELY different than the Lemon Law, however they share some similarities.. I believe, someone correct me if needed, that the Lemon Law really only affects Safety related items.. Since this isn't a Lemon Law offense, and youlive in Canada, I couldn't tell you whether it is the case or not..

You may want to look into Consumer Protection Rights in your country.. That's the best way to find out what you can do to help yourself..

JT
Old 06-24-2008, 03:32 PM
RuffCat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GodAmGT00

I know in the state of Massachusetts (as with a lot of other U.S. States, even though it doesn't apply to Canada per se), even using the "As-Is," clause doesn't completely defer the previous owner of defects and issues that arise.. In MA, there was something called the "Consumer Protection Act," which states that any person, purchasing goods in MA, are entitled to a 7-day, risk free purchase of goods over a certain value (to include automobiles). This law stated, that during the 7-day period, if anything breaks, or anything prevents the vehicle from operating properly, the previous owner is either liable to repair the vehicle, or refund the purchase price, no-harm no-foul.

This is COMPLETELY different than the Lemon Law, however they share some similarities.. I believe, someone correct me if needed, that the Lemon Law really only affects Safety related items.. Since this isn't a Lemon Law offense, and youlive in Canada, I couldn't tell you whether it is the case or not..

You may want to look into Consumer Protection Rights in your country.. That's the best way to find out what you can do to help yourself..

JT
This has nothing to do with what his issue is! His car was and is fully functional! Just because it has only a one wheel peel, that does not make it a defect, merely an option.
I'm willing to bet he never asked if it had posi, he just assumed it. Also, he should have looked the car over himself before he purchased it.

Here's a scenerio. WHAT IF: he bought the car and found out that he had a fully built rearend with 31 spline axles and a posi locker unit and 4:10 gears. Would he be arguing then???? Yeah!... That's the same as complaining it doesn't have stock drivetrain and it's more than he paid for therefore doesn't want it.
A used car gets turned over many times through many owners. Anything is possible. There's no law on things like that, only changing the displacement of the motor is warranted since it is on the vehicles title. Everything else is as-is, buyer beware regardless of major dealership or backyard dealership.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Sorry buddy, you got took but I doubt they even knew about it. Better luck next time.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:58 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

This has nothing to do with what his issue is! His car was and is fully functional! Just because it has only a one wheel peel, that does not make it a defect, merely an option.
I'm willing to bet he never asked if it had posi, he just assumed it. Also, he should have looked the car over himself before he purchased it.

Here's a scenerio. WHAT IF: he bought the car and found out that he had a fully built rearend with 31 spline axles and a posi locker unit and 4:10 gears. Would he be arguing then???? Yeah!... That's the same as complaining it doesn't have stock drivetrain and it's more than he paid for therefore doesn't want it.
A used car gets turned over many times through many owners. Anything is possible. There's no law on things like that, only changing the displacement of the motor is warranted since it is on the vehicles title. Everything else is as-is, buyer beware regardless of major dealership or backyard dealership.
I'll +1 that. Consider yourself lucky with the minor troubles youre running into, im sure its a hassle but it could be worse. I don't think the dealer knew, if every dealer opened up the rear end to confirm it is what it should be then I would **** gold. Anyways, g/l and I would do as the one person suggested and work up the 7.5 rear end.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:09 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Nice to see someone else form BC on the forums.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Pony Problem

90% of dealers are the devil so good luck!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:14 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ackuric

I'll +1 that. Consider yourself lucky with the minor troubles youre running into, im sure its a hassle but it could be worse. I don't think the dealer knew, if every dealer opened up the rear end to confirm it is what it should be then I would **** gold. Anyways, g/l and I would do as the one person suggested and work up the 7.5 rear end.

I guess I should've explained myself better, or underlined the last line that I posted.. Regardless of the fact of whether the dealership knew or not; if the car is normally equipped with a specific item, and it is down-graded, that is technically a compromise of the original agreement (contract of purchase), and could be potentially remedied by certain laws created to protect the consumer..

I'm not saying there is anything like this in place in Canada, but I know that a lot of states have these things.. In fact, even being expost facto, could be brought to small claims court.. It may be thrown out, however it could tarnish the reputation of the shop you bought it from..

Regardless, I've seen 8.8" go for fairly cheap.. I'm sure he could find one that's already got gears in it, from a wreck, and throw it underneath, for nearly the same price as building up the 7.5"... Just be patient..

JT