4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

X-Pipe without cats. Can I pass emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 07:28 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: X-Pipe without cats. Can I pass emissions?

if they fail u buy fuel injector cleaner run that threw 1 gas tank and take it back up there. it will pass.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

If you take 'Great White North' (Canada... Sorry) as a racial comment.. You seriously need to relax a bit. I don't know about you guys, but on the Internet.. We have no colour. We are all Human Beings.

Secondly, if you'll notice I said 'unless you do them differently'..

I'd be glad to give a few helpful pointers to anyone who can't pass emissions, I was simply asking how his particular emissions controls were performed, as ours reads the levels of gasses being emitted, and the last vehicle to utilize the information he was also providing, failed miserably. I'd hate to see someone fail on account of misinformation (No offense, DeltaV)

Chill out, brother.. We're all friends here

Edit -
ORIGINAL: grogan

if they fail u buy fuel injector cleaner run that threw 1 gas tank and take it back up there. it will pass.
I believe the method you're referring to is one a friend of mine and myself tried on his Taurus SHO, as well as my 96GT just recently. Mix a bottle of Automatic Tranny Fluid with equal amounts of water (50/50 mix). Then, allow the engine to suck the fluid into the Intake via engine Vac. It's very important to only allow a few ML's at a time to be introduced into the engine (Stick the tube into the fluid, 'One-one thousand, two-one thousand' REMOVE.. Wait 2 seconds, repeat)

The water/tranny fluid will burn away the Carbon in the heads, on the valves, on the pistons etc. This carbon buildup will give your vehicle excessive NOx values. I see quite a few cars fail on NOx Values alone, and this can easily be avoided. Honestly, one of the most fool proof ways to burn away carbon is to take your vehicle for a LONG drive at a constant speed with high temps (Road trip on the Highway on a summer day will do it) and this will burn away vast amounts, if not all of the Carbon.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:33 PM
baino
4th Gear Member

I would just throw hi-flows on her if you have any question about it. Won't lose much at all
Old 06-24-2008, 10:28 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

10,000 ppm! good god was raw fuel pouring out the tail pipes, hope you had good ventilation.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Lowtryx....

You need to read the OP. As 96gt226410 stated, they do NOT hook a sniffer up to his exhaust so therefore it is impossible for you to get a PPM reading through the OBD-II. Thats how I figure that my answer was correct and not just bad advice (which is what you have given)

Also, can we get some details on the "brand spankin new 302"? What year was the car? Last time I checked they stopped putting them in Mustangs back in '95, unless of course it was a crate motor of some sort.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Rogeliod8
1st Gear Member

I was considering an off road x pipe but I changed my mind about it. I think I will go with a high flow catted x pipe instead. I think that off road mid pipes are more trouble than they are worth. I mean you gotta buy MIL's and then go through all kinds of trouble just to get an inspection! Forget that! That's just my opinion though. lol. So pretty much I am too lazy to go through all the trouble to save some money. Oh well.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Westicle
2nd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: Lowtryx

If you take 'Great White North' (Canada... Sorry) as a racial comment.. You seriously need to relax a bit. I don't know about you guys, but on the Internet.. We have no colour. We are all Human Beings.

Secondly, if you'll notice I said 'unless you do them differently'..

I'd be glad to give a few helpful pointers to anyone who can't pass emissions, I was simply asking how his particular emissions controls were performed, as ours reads the levels of gasses being emitted, and the last vehicle to utilize the information he was also providing, failed miserably. I'd hate to see someone fail on account of misinformation (No offense, DeltaV)

Chill out, brother.. We're all friends here
[quote/]

sorry but some people are down right ignorant. sorry I didn't know you were referring to canada. Try to expand on what you mean next time so people don't get the wrong idea. and no we're not all the same color in reguards to possibly being racist, you might want to think about that.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Ravenatic20

Thank you everyone for your help

ORIGINAL: Rogeliod8

I was considering an off road x pipe but I changed my mind about it. I think I will go with a high flow catted x pipe instead. I think that off road mid pipes are more trouble than they are worth. I mean you gotta buy MIL's and then go through all kinds of trouble just to get an inspection! Forget that! That's just my opinion though. lol. So pretty much I am too lazy to go through all the trouble to save some money. Oh well.
If you have any experience with electric work, the MIL eliminators are not that hard to make. It depends on what state you live in but it should not be that hard to pass inspection. Also, an X-Pipe without cats is a lot cheaper. It will also give you more HP gain than an X-Pipe with cats. Something to consider.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: livefast1

10,000 ppm! good god was raw fuel pouring out the tail pipes, hope you had good ventilation.
I was a little dizzy by the end of the test, yes

The funny thing was there were zero other gasses being emitted, just unburnt Hydro Carbons. At that point, I layed on the ground and looked under, and gave the 'Ohhhhh I see what's going on here.. Sir, you need Catalytic converters to meet Ontario Emissions Specifications."
Old 06-25-2008, 07:13 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

thank god for florida,no emissions testing

Quick Reply: X-Pipe without cats. Can I pass emissions?