4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sniper Tuning Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Sniper Tuning Question

Thanks Cliffyk, that looks great, my main area of concern is the t56 swapped in. It only shows auto/manual, will I be able to enter in any other pertinent information or would that be unnecessary? Also would I be using the snipertuning software to tweak my existing xcal tune or will I return to stock and then retune with the sniper software?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Youshould always return the car to the stock tune whenever you change tuning systems. Doing so will also divorce the SCT from your car so that it can be more than an expensive paperweight.[/align][/align]As for the tranny, there's nothing related to the transmission gear ratios that is relevant to the tuning process. Even the speedometer related stuffis unaffected, as it's driven off the transmission output shaft...[/align]
Old 06-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Youshould always return the car to the stock tune whenever you change tuning systems. Doing so will also divorce the SCT from your car so that it can be more than an expensive paperweight.[/align][/align]As for the tranny, there's nothing related to the transmission gear ratios that is relevant to the tuning process. Even the speedometer related stuffis unaffected, as it's driven off the transmission output shaft...[/align]
Sounds good, it looks like I'll be purchasing the sniper sometime after I get my car out of the body shop...=/
Old 06-25-2008, 10:55 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to sort of derail the thread, but I have a sniper question.

I am thinking about getting a supercharger for my GT. I have read that after you install a supercharger, you need to get a professional tune or else your engine will explode into a fiery mass of metal and you'll die.

If I install a Vortech supercharger, will I be able to use only the Sniper SF to tune my car so that it won't explode and kill me? Or do you have to get it professionally tuned regardless of your personal tuner?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:20 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

LOL your car will not explode. You will just destroy the engine.

Tuning with sniper for a SC is easy but you must have a wideband o2 sensor. Just tell sniper all your mods and that you are running 2lbs of boost more then you really are. That way sniper will create a very safe (rich) tune and you can dial in the tune from there.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:59 PM
AirBrontosaurus
2nd Gear Member

Well that's good to know.

This widebandO2 sensor you speak of... how is it different than a standard A/F gauge? They're really expensive (like $200!) and I am all about the half-assed-cheap-as-hell solution to all my problems.

Also, just out of curiosity's sake, why do you need one? Can't you just richen up the tune and know you're safe?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:02 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Well that probably settles it. I'm gonna get the Sniper Stuff.

So who has the extra "pro software" stuff? How much more does it cost? How much can you actually adjust as far as fuel and such?
Old 06-26-2008, 03:57 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I do not have the Commando software (Commando is the end-user version of the Delta Force proffessional system), for two reasons. [/align][/align]First it's $450 or so on top of the SF package (about a grand give or take a few $$), and secondly because there's not really anything I need to that Special Forces cannot handle. This would be true even for those running nitrous, or reasonably sane f/i packages. [/align][/align]Commando would be neat to have, and if I had a really "built" (very high compression/radical cams or crazy levels of boost)I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but for now SF can handle all I need done.[/align][/align]
Old 06-26-2008, 06:43 AM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

I have the SF package as well, and love it.

But to the original question. You swapped your auto to a T56, and left your original ECM in place (Auto ECM).

So you want to know if Sniper can reprogram the ECM from an Auto to a manual. I am no where near 100% on this, but I am going to say no. Like someone else said, really need to ask that in the sniper forums. But I think the question of is it an auto or manual within SF, is to set other tuning, and also prompt for the shift points if you select Auto.

Again, I aould ask though on the sniper forums.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I have commando but I have not been able to try it out yet. It cost $375 for the software and I got another bullitt with it. I will need it for the amount of power I will be making and some of the things I need to change that SF can not handle. But most people will be fine with just SF.

Quick Reply: Sniper Tuning Question