4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

hey guys i have some questions about buying a mustang!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:41 AM
str8spaceball

Default hey guys i have some questions about buying a mustang!

More specifically,a 1999-2004 GT. Are there any reliability issues i need to know about? What about things that can go wrong or are known to go wrong. Differences between Auto and Manual? I appreciate the help, great looking forum you have!

P.S. I am also looking at LT1/LS1 camaro's/trans am's. Honest answers help me make an educated decision.

Yes, the mustangs are stock for stock slower... but I love both and need all the pros and cons. It's not all about speed.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: hey guys i have some questions about buying a mustang!

I honestly haven't had one issue with my car since I bought it. 100k on these motors are like break-in period. t45 &3650's both kinda weak transmissions if you like to jam on it hard. Although I have 150k miles on my trans and I'm launching pretty decent with 410rwtq with no issues yet.

Reliability is the Mustangs #1 atribute, then cool factor.

If you're comparing an F body to it, the Mustang will handle 100% better than a F body because of the shorter body, weight ratio front to back, and 99+ have traction control.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:00 AM
str8spaceball

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

I honestly haven't had one issue with my car since I bought it. 100k on these motors are like break-in period. t45 &3650's both kinda weak transmissions if you like to jam on it hard. Although I have 150k miles on my trans and I'm launching pretty decent with 410rwtq with no issues yet.

If you're comparing an F body to it, the Mustang will handle 100% better than a F body because of the shorter body, weight ratio front to back, and 99+ have traction control.
Thanks a ton. i appreciate it. All throughout my family they have always looked down upon Ford and thought of Honda as the holy grail..... But no longer am i going to be stuck in that! (I have a 2005 Civic EX). Gas prices? pshhh, i am tired of not having the ability to go fast, look more stylish, and have a more sporty car.

Oh and btw, i might be putting my car up for sale soon, anyone interested? hah! >_<
Old 06-30-2008, 01:00 AM
mustangcat
Deputy CatDog - To Purr'tect and Explode

I have 90k on my Car, and the ONLY thing thats given me a problem is the Fuel Pump giving out...Which is no big deal, $200 and an hour of my time.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: str8spaceball

Thanks a ton. i appreciate it. All throughout my family they have always looked down upon Ford and thought of Honda as the holy grail..... But no longer am i going to be stuck in that! (I have a 2005 Civic EX). Gas prices? pshhh, i am tired of not having the ability to go fast, look more stylish, and have a more sporty car.

Oh and btw, i might be putting my car up for sale soon, anyone interested? hah! >_<
I also drive a 2003 Honda CRV with 174,000 miles on it. I get 32MPG no matter if I'm in the city or on the Hwy. I love my Mustang but the honda has been very faithful and also has not broke down on me ever... I blame it on Good maintenance.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:09 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

SOME 99-00 GT's have traction control. Not all.

Basically the upside of the Mustang is looks and sound, but that's subjective. LS1 has the power. Go with a manual either way.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

Basically the upside of the Mustang is looks and sound, but that's subjective. LS1 has the power. Go with a manual either way.

Oh yeah, good save, thanks.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:41 AM
str8spaceball

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

thanks for the response, but do you have any experiences as far as reliability is concerned between the LT1/LS1 and the 4.6? This is a big decision, i want to make sure it's the right one. And i am coming from a freaking civic, ANY more power is fine with me >_>.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:19 AM
str8spaceball

one last question. what do you think an average time would be for an 99-04 GT auto in the 1/4... and a manual. 0-60? these are things i am asking about because i'm bored and can't sleep .

assume the driver is just decent?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:29 AM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

i would say 14.0 in the 1/4 on both, and 5.7 for the 0-60, i like the look and sound of a mustang better, and you can always make a mustang fast if you want to

Quick Reply: hey guys i have some questions about buying a mustang!