4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Making hood scoop functional?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:15 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Making hood scoop functional?

I was wondering cause I've seen several threads on these before in other forums and I see mixed answers. Can it posibly be done like on the mach 1's? I know shaker makes a kit but it's way expensive and I actually prefer the look of the GT scoops rather than the shaker ones. It looks more integrated.

I don't know much about the technical stuff but the way I see the mach 1's are made is it that the scoop just routes air into the filter of the intake. If I can make a cutout on the hood and make a duct that goes from that to the filter, wouldn't that work?

Brandon
Old 06-30-2008, 05:25 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

Default RE: Making hood scoop functional?

It is possible but there will be no gains. The only thing you can do it tell people that your scoop is real.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:27 AM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

my buddy took his gt scoop and drilled all the holes out in that honeycomb thats inthe scoop.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:21 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Why would there be no gains if it will function just like theshaker one? It would direct wind right to the air filter and wouldn't they help a bit?

What are the HP gains between a GT and a GT with the shaker hood upgrade? anyone know?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 06-30-2008, 08:24 AM
steve0914
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StriderTacticaL

Why would there be no gains if it will function just like theshaker one? It would direct wind right to the air filter and wouldn't they help a bit?

What are the HP gains between a GT and a GT with the shaker hood upgrade? anyone know?

Thanks,
Brandon
none a RAI,CAI or your silencer removed intake arent restrictive... the shaker is just for looks
Old 06-30-2008, 09:10 AM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Yea its not gonna be worth the headache. Can it be done? YES. Is it worth the time and effort? NO.

Did you miss the 2 page b!tch fest last week about this? Go look through a couple of pages in the GD area and find this thread.

BTW there are no real gains from a shaker hood, its purely cosmetic. Its nothing more than a worthless CAI.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:11 AM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

ROFL..yeah.. /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ black35th pretty much summed it up... but thats all Im going to post b/c I said all I have to say on the subject in the bitchfest he mentioned.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 AM
redstanger
3rd Gear Member

ive seen a guy take off his scoop. cut the v6 hole out and put that door protector around it for looks. then took his old honey comb insert and actually cut all the little holes out with a roto zip or something like that. you could see the heat excaping from out the top when he was sitting at lights but it didnt do anything for him else where. I think it caught bugs and water and thats all.

you look at shaker scoops they sit up higher to clear the engine plus they are higher because thats were the air is. when it hits the bumper the air goes up over the stock scoop.

btw shadowfoxx how does your 2.2L fit under the stock hood? i have an idea but what did you do.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

It'll be cool and worth about 19 seconds of conversation... Well worth the several hours it takes to do it.........

Um, no.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:15 PM
shadowfoxx
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redstanger

ive seen a guy take off his scoop. cut the v6 hole out and put that door protector around it for looks. then took his old honey comb insert and actually cut all the little holes out with a roto zip or something like that. you could see the heat excaping from out the top when he was sitting at lights but it didnt do anything for him else where. I think it caught bugs and water and thats all.

you look at shaker scoops they sit up higher to clear the engine plus they are higher because thats were the air is. when it hits the bumper the air goes up over the stock scoop.

btw shadowfoxx how does your 2.2L fit under the stock hood? i have an idea but what did you do.
No, the 2.2 will not clear the stock hood... The picture in my sig is old... I have a 3" cowl hood on now so that it clears the 2.2 KB.

Quick Reply: Making hood scoop functional?