4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Removing Mach 460 amps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:58 AM
califas_1987
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Removing Mach 460 amps?

+1 on the rewire.

Sorry for the mach1000 confusion

the amps you are talking about are the subwoofer amps; even in the 460 they have them just not as many as the 1000. Unplug them and you will be left with mids and tweets. If you like the sound you can then get rid of the woofers under the decklid and the ones in the front door along with the amps in your panels.

With just mids and tweets... I don't know if you would like the sound. A rewire would allow you to save even more weight(one more amp in your dash)and get some full range speakers in there too.

http://www.evisteon.com/prod_serv/mo...60/index.shtml
Old 07-02-2008, 11:48 AM
1vryfststang
2nd Gear Member

ZW, Just gut that thing and get it over with.........haha all you need is a seat and steering wheel and if the women is with you make her set on a milk crate =-) or on in your lap.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:11 PM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

if you take out both amps and the big black box then only ones that will work are the tweeters in you door pillar type things...

The best way to do it is, take out the black box, take off the amp used to power the rear speakers, leave the other amp in there, fade the deck to the front, this was you have the front speakers, and tweeters and only the one amp thats doesnt weigh much.. I keep mine under my rear seat delete.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I just checked my old Mach460 speakers and the 5.25's are 6ohm and the rear tweeters are 3 ohm. I think Ford might just SUCK! lol

Edit: I just checked all my old MACH speakers and all the Driver speakers are 6ohm and the tweeters are 3ohm. I dunno guys... I'll say it one more time, Mach & Ford Sucks.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:49 PM
blackhawk10

i did a rewire on my car. you can remove weight starteing from the drivers side back quater panel. that is where a wire harness start. the one that plugs to the speaker box. if i'm not mistaken, it has 2 wire harness?.?.? and one you can reach it kinda easy. the other you will need to remove your back quater panel stated above. you can then remove the box, install the speakers with out the box (like the V6's) and run custom wires to them as well as the front speakers. I have a pioneer on mine running a wire to each speaker and you will stil have good sound and have lost weight of the box and amps, and the 1 yrds of wire from the haness... (not that much lol). I have a harness that runs from driver kick panel to the back I believe. if your interested we can swich or something. I tore my whole car apart and put it together again cuz i did a swap (3.8 to 4.6) and i changed all harnesses as well. so i know where everything is and how it runs... lol PM if your (or any one) interested or have questions of anykind.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

ok... so far it seems like maybe 1 or 2 people got this right, and people STILLLLLLLLL keep giving wrong information. Not that this is that big of a deal as far as topics go, I still can't stand people passing off what they THINK as what they KNOW...

REAR AMPS POWER EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE TWEETERS. YOU WILL NOT HAVE MIDS OF LOWS IF YOU REMOVE THEM. Goddamn.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Injected97GT

ok... so far it seems like maybe 1 or 2 people got this right, and people STILLLLLLLLL keep giving wrong information. Not that this is that big of a deal as far as topics go, I still can't stand people passing off what they THINK as what they KNOW...

REAR AMPS POWER EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE TWEETERS. YOU WILL NOT HAVE MIDS OF LOWS IF YOU REMOVE THEM. Goddamn.
http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/cgi-...mp;p_topview=1
Old 07-03-2008, 12:24 AM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

That basicaly says what I was tyring to say, but there is an amp under the factory stereo for the tweeters. SO technicaly, crutchfield is wrong in their "the front and rear tweeters are powered by the factory stereo directly" claim.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 AM
96_LAstang
3rd Gear Member

ZW, the front and rear tweeters will work but i dont thinktheywill be loud enough for you.

Here Some good info i found
Mach 460 Info

Old 04-20-2009, 11:01 PM
jmsjags
2nd Gear Member

just did this to my car tonight. i removed the black speaker box under the trunk dash and the two amps that were hanging underneath that. my front tweeters are the only things that work now but they're plenty loud. and the quality is still pretty good. the front speakers on the doors WILL NOT WORK if u do this.

and i haven't weighed everything i took out yet but it's gotta be at least 30 pounds. that crap is HEAVY!

Quick Reply: Removing Mach 460 amps?