4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Code P2270

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
big mitch

Default Code P2270

First off let me start off by saying hi, just signed up to this forum as my son just came back home to Oklahoma and brought with him his '04 GT. Anyway he's had an service engine light since he got the car. Took it to autozone today and it's throwing P2270 which is basically pointing towards an O2 sensor. Question I have is from my reading there are 2 sensors one before and one after the coverter. Which one is bad. Any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to spending allot of time here and spending my son's money on Mods
Old 07-09-2008, 08:07 PM
bb816331
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Code P2270

Wow that is freaking weird, my car is throwing a P2195, and according to their definitions they are exactly the same. Maybe it's a different code for each side. Anyways, upstream sensors can measure lean. Did they tell you bank 1 or bank 2? Bank 1 is the passenger side, bank 2 is drivers side. Either way it's the front sensor.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:18 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

Its the downstream o2 sensor for bank one (passenger side). This sensor is after the cat. This code means it is stuck lean. It could be a bad sensor, pinched or shortedwires, or a corroded connector for starters.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 PM
bb816331
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: blackstallion666

Its the downstream o2 sensor for bank one (passenger side). This sensor is after the cat. This code means it is stuck lean. It could be a bad sensor, pinched or shortedwires, or a corroded connector for starters.
I thought only upstream sensors could sense lean. I thought all the rear sensors did was make sure everything flowing out of the cat is ok?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 PM
big mitch

Thanks for the info, I'll have to crawl under the car this weekend and give it a look. If I have to change a sensor any recommendations on brand. Autozone has Bosch. Thanks again.

Scott
Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 PM
big mitch

My son has the same year and color car except he has gold hood stripes and has some battle damage, will be changing out the front bumper cover and left fender.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bb816331

I thought only upstream sensors could sense lean. I thought all the rear sensors did was make sure everything flowing out of the cat is ok?
Yes they do monitor the cat. And normally stay around a .5V, butwhen the cat goes bad the rear o2 sensor's will switch rich and lean. And work the same as the upstream sensors. And when the pcm see's that the upstream and downstream sensor are switching at the same rate it trips the light.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:21 PM
jmsjags
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: big mitch

Thanks for the info, I'll have to crawl under the car this weekend and give it a look. If I have to change a sensor any recommendations on brand. Autozone has Bosch. Thanks again.

Scott
NO!! don't get anything other than Motorcraft. that's what came on the car from the factory. if u use any of the aftermarket brands there's a chance they won't work right.

i had one of the oxygen sensors on my car go bad about a month ago. when i crawled under there to check it out, guess what...it was a cheapy aftermarket one.

if you're gonna change it, do the job right so u won't have to worry about it again
Old 07-10-2008, 07:21 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here's the description of the catalyst monitoring from the shop manual:

Catalyst Efficiency Monitor

The Catalyst Efficiency Monitor uses an oxygen sensor before and after the catalyst to infer the hydrocarbon (HC) efficiency based on oxygen storage capacity of the catalyst. Under normal, close-loop fuel conditions, high efficiency catalysts have significant oxygen storage. This makes the switching frequency of the rear heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) very slow and reduces the amplitude of those switches as compared to the switching frequency and amplitude of the front HO2S. As the catalyst efficiency deteriorates due to thermal and/or chemical deterioration, its ability to store oxygen declines. The post-catalyst or downstream HO2S signal begins to switch more rapidly with increasing amplitude, approaching the switching frequency and amplitude of the pre-catalyst or upstream HO2S.
The rear sensors switch just like the front, however they do it more slowly when the cats are good.

Codes P2270 through P2273 are thrown when they get "stuck" rich or lean despite the fact that in closed-loop mode the mix is always changing from rich to lean as the PCM keeps the average AFR stoichiometric.

This can be because of:

Pinched, shorted, and corroded wiring and pins
Crossed sensor wires
Exhaust leaks
Contaminated or damaged sensor

as indicated by bb816331.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:47 AM
Juggalo351
2nd Gear Member

pretty much what he just said, the rear o2 sensors dont do anything but check that the cat is working and how well it is. the front sensor is usually the only one that can cause a code to be set, at least thats how it was explained to me by my instructor

Quick Reply: Code P2270