4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cutting my coils to drop the stang

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:32 AM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

Default Cutting my coils to drop the stang

I have a steeda kit on my car now but im not sure what kit it is. I was looking at the sportline kit from eibach but i dont wanna buy it and install it and then have my car sit at the same height or higher. so i was thinking of cutting my coils of the current aftermarket steedas. any thoughts.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 AM
redstanger
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Cutting my coils to drop the stang

cut the right side of the spring. personally why would you want it lower than steeda springs but i guess whatever floats your boat. your going to have to get caster camber plates and a bump steer kit also. then your shocks will go out sooner since they are lower than originally put in. Then you will also have to realign the front end also. plus all the clearance issues your going to run into with mufflers etc.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:42 AM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

i wanna slam it so it looks that much better thats why i wanna either cut them or get a different kit. Trust me, i'd rather just get the sportline kit but its a matter of not having a guarantee that it will be lower than what its at now and then itd be a waste of money and i already got cc plates on it. and do i need a bumpsteer kit?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:56 AM
redstanger
3rd Gear Member

yeah because your geometry of your steering rack is all messed up. tie rods are angled up so with a bumpsteer kit it levels them back to stock position. Without it when you hit a bump the car will actually turn the tire in since the tie rod is to angledto high from the steering rack.

Look at this ) is techniqually how a tire moves up and down. Its a half moon shape. now say if the tie rod is at the top of the curve and the tire is in the middle of the curve. when you raise the tire up on the curve the tie rod end actually will turn the tire in a bit. CALL BUMP STEER.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 PM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

yah that makes sense. So what are my options then if i really want to get it lower then it is. I was looking at the sportline kit. Would i have to still get the bumpsteer kit? Its only $150 so its nothing I just wanna get a kit that will ensure the drop im looking for. Its just hard for me to gauge what these kits are gonna do because its not from stock height ya know its from the steeda kit height which dropped the car about an inch. also when i bought the car the guy did all the suspension including shocks and struts, they seem to be in perfect shape do these need changing? thanks for all your help redstanger
Old 07-10-2008, 12:53 PM
johnr2001gt
2nd Gear Member

its funny that my 01 is dropped 2" all the way around. I have no steering issues at all, also have no aftermarket cast and camber plates and my car drives great with no tire wear issues at all. no camber or tow in problem at all. over 10000 miles this way with no issues. I did however put shocks and struts for a fox on my 01 since they are about an inch or so shorter. the alignment is perfect on the car. might just be lucky I guess

everyone always says you have to do this and that when lowering your car. I think every case is different
Old 07-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Iagree. Caster camber plates are a bunch of forum nerd BS
Old 07-10-2008, 02:02 PM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

johnr did you cut your springs or was this with a kit?
Old 07-10-2008, 03:12 PM
redstanger
3rd Gear Member

johnr2001gt

you lower'd your car and didnt have caster camber plates? 2inches. na your full of s hit its running out your ears. your tires have got the top angled in. I did mine an inch and factory camber caster plates can only handle an inch of drop. mine was still off after i got alignment done because the factory ones can only move toward the fender so much.if you want to hibilly stuff do it. If you want to do it the right way/professional way to MAKE SURE the alignment is right and the geometry of the front suspension is right do what i told you.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
bb816331
I ♥ Acer

Cutting my coils to drop the stang
Is a TERRIBLE idea! It's unsafe, and if done incorrectly can really affect the car. Do it the smart way, unless you want to spend more money down the road. Keep in mind cutting them weakens them. Plus, i doubt you could cut each spring 100% equal.

Quick Reply: Cutting my coils to drop the stang