4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Losing power at high rpms

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:02 PM
SHO NO MERCY
4th Gear Member

Default Losing power at high rpms

I pulled up next to an 08 Cobalt SS and we were going to race. We ease into first feeling each other out. I let him punch it and right when I floored it I was about to fly by him and it felt like my car was choking. I looked at my air to fuel gauge and it was in the red. I didn't see what the reading was, but I let out. I found a secluded road and ran it WOT a few times and it did it every time.

It did this earlier today when I was getting a bit low on fuel so I filled with 91 as ususal and it is still doing it. I have a Procharger P1SC w/ custom tune, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, the regular bolt-ons. This couldn't be attributed to belt slippage could it? I'm thinking if it was leaning out there has to be something wrong with fuel delivery...or could it be something else. Car runs pretty strong throughout low-mid rpms, but about 3800-5000rpms it just chokes.

Any ideas?

Who could I take my car to that I could trust it in the hands of to diagnose this problem? I really don't want to take it to Ford...
Old 07-13-2008, 05:58 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Losing power at high rpms

what injectors and maf? Dyno tuned?
Old 07-13-2008, 06:40 PM
jrherald420
5th Gear Member

i would think a good tuner would be able to help you fix your problem.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:11 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

You are running lean so stop running it into higher RPMs or your going to be engine shopping very soon.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:42 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

what walbro pump are you running for your car, i know they make a seperate one for the variable voltage returnless systems but if you have a regular one designed to work with the regular 12-14v it wont work properly.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:16 PM
SHO NO MERCY
4th Gear Member

42 # FRPP injectors, Stock MAF with the Diablo plug in (I'm still not sure what this does, I'm assuming it tricks the computer into thinking you're running a bigger MAF?), dyno tuned at Abel Racing in Oklahoma City.

I'm trying to find the receipt for the pump, but all I know is that it's a Walbro 255lph, and on the voltage I'm not positive.

Definately done running it, but I had to make sure that was the case so I know what I'm dealing with. If the engine pops, that would suck...

Probably will save some cash and take it to a different tuner when I go to get my P-51 installed and diagnose this ****. God this pisses me off. Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll just have to be easy on her until I get to a tuner.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:35 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Has it thrown any codes? check engine light on?

I may be wrong I wouldnt see this as being a software problem, other than some sort of limp mode, because didn't you have your car running for a while with the supercharger on it? To me it definatey sounds like a fuel problem.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:59 PM
tmclaas
2nd Gear Member

Sounds to me like your starving your engine of fuel. Could be something with the fuel pump. Just let a tuner hook it up and they should be able to tell right away. It almost seems like your fuel pump is pegging at 4 grand for some reason, but then again usually if its your fuel pump pegging your car will throw a check engine light.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:21 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

do you have a fuel pressure gauge? i installed one on the the schrader valve on the fuel rail just to keep an eye on the pressure while im under the hood, that should tell you if you are losing pressure when you rev you engine. i going to say that you should have the correct walbro pump, otherwise you wouldnt have been able to get the car tune right.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:30 PM
SHO NO MERCY
4th Gear Member

My check engine light has been on for a while since I have long tubes. I really need to get that taken care of. I'll go by Auto Zone tomorrow and see what codes it's throwing. I'm think there's a good chance it might be the fuel pump...Keep you guys posted on the codes.

Quick Reply: Losing power at high rpms