4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

This is not another "LTs" vs "shorties" thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:17 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Default This is not another "LTs" vs "shorties" thread

Okay, in one of my recent ebay forays, I found the following.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m32

Yes, I know, they are shorties.And if you're going to tell me they are a waste of time, save your breath. Not everyone wants LTs.

That being said, they seem like a good deal, but I have never seen them before. I've asked the seller about the flange and tube wall thickness and whether or not they are actually ceramic coated vs. ceramic colored (see description).

Anyone else know or curious?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:24 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

Default RE: This is not another "LTs" vs "shorties" thread

They look alot like my BBK shorties just a different coating. Looks like they just painted them so i would be a little skeptical. Theres a reason why there cheaper.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I had the same thoughts. If/when the seller responds to my email, I'll update this thread. With shipping it's $214 to my house. That is awfully cheap and makes we wonder. Still, stranger things have happened. One can aways hope I guess.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:55 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

if your gonna get shorties get something with a little more rep. i would just get the 300 bbk shorties..

and youll thank yourself for buying shorties if u ever get a centrifugal blower
Old 07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I'm not necessarily buying them. I'm just looking for information. I think they are fairly new on the market and I always try to share things like this in case no one else has seen them. I hope to hear from the company in the next day or so and then I'll be able to post info for everyone.

One note is that on the BBK shorties, they have a small reduction on one header for clearance. My guess is the PS shaft. This company does not seem to have that. I'd love to buy BBK ceramics, but it this turns out to be as good but cheaper....

More to follow.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:23 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

I'm not necessarily buying them. I'm just looking for information. I think they are fairly new on the market and I always try to share things like this in case no one else has seen them. I hope to hear from the company in the next day or so and then I'll be able to post info for everyone.

One note is that on the BBK shorties, they have a small reduction on one header for clearance. My guess is the PS shaft. This company does not seem to have that. I'd love to buy BBK ceramics, but it this turns out to be as good but cheaper....

More to follow.
on a side note. my headers didnt have a dip or anything to clear the steering shaft and it hit. i had to do a little grinding to get it to work. these headers look like they are reboxed( actualy a name brand, but just reboxed and sold as another company...it happends A LOT)
Old 07-15-2008, 12:23 AM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

may or may not be to good to be true will find out soon enough i suppose ,but to me they look painted not coated.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:03 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

if your gonna get shorties get something with a little more rep. i would just get the 300 bbk shorties..

and youll thank yourself for buying shorties if u ever get a centrifugal blower
why? LTs should have no negative side effects whatsoever, with or without a centri blower. I have had no issues with my SQ and the BBK LTs....

And not to **** you off intentionally OP, but why spend money on something that will have almost no positive effect on your car? If you don't want LTs, that doesnt mean you have to waste your money on shorties to gain no power....
Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 AM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

yah i looked on ebay at first. if you are gonna do anything to your car, do it right man. its not some piece of s hit honda where u can buy all this garbage off ebay and fit it up. just get some bbk or frpp headers. its not worth the hassle or chance. btw 2000gt, although Lts put out more power than shorties, some of us can't install lts because of clearance. i installed lts and they sat way to low and hit everything on the road for me. that is why i went with shorties. They obviously have a positive effect if the give betterflow due to the restriction with stock manifolds.yah lts give more power and a better sound but every application is different, that is why they came up with them in the first place, so what is a waste of money to you may not be to someone else so just keep your 2 cents in your pocket on this topic.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Shorties don't get you the big gains I grant you that, but they are not without value. Personally, I'm going with shorties (eventually) because I spent a good piece of change on my SS catted x pipe. I'm not cutting it or trashing it to get LTs. I have a wife and kids, mortgage, etc, and I'm due to retire from the Army next year. IOW, I'm not spending a butt-load of cash on my car just now. Hell, I may not spend anything until I have a job in the private sector next year.

Thanks to everyone for your input thus far. I hope to have some answers soon for us all. If I don't get an answer, then that is one in and of itself I would think.

Quick Reply: This is not another "LTs" vs "shorties" thread