4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What do u think about cams

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:56 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

Default What do u think about cams

Ok so i'm out of preformance bolt ons (excluding flywheel) and looking ahead; I'm wondering what ya'll think about cams in a daily driver? i've already read the sticky so im aware that for what i want stage one is better and replacing the springs would be best. I'm just looking to squeeze the most naturally aspired hp outta the 2v as possible. Would cams be too risky or extreme for a D.D. or does it not matter? Anyone that put stage ones in before: should i really consider replacing my heads and/or intake manifold as well to take full adv of the cams? Or would that be over doing it?
Old 07-15-2008, 07:32 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: What do u think about cams

A stage 1 cam will not make a huge difference in DD driving, even a stage 2 will not hurt your DD all that much. That being said, unless you can do the install yourself plan on spending a LOT of money for a not very large gain. Install + parts can easily equal 1500+ dollars all said and done, espcially if you plan on replacing the valvesprings.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:44 PM
rob.d
1st Gear Member

I vote for custom grinds. I am not impressed with the grinds for 2v stangs. You should pick your cam according to your end goals and heads. You should really get fimilar with term like SCR, DCR, VE,and overlap. Most shops steer away from custom grinds because they either stock about twenty stage one and stage two cams, or they don't know how to spec out a cam for a customer. A cusom grind should take into account boltons including gears, intake, weight of the car,exhaust, power adders, heads, power under the curve, and peak HP. It seems that most people on this forum pick the same cams because of lack of knowledge in this area. I would like to see people choose a custom grind and post up results from there own R&D. Of course you can aways pick a stage one cam and call it a day.
ORIGINAL: enrobriaffej

Ok so i'm out of preformance bolt ons (excluding flywheel) and looking ahead; I'm wondering what ya'll think about cams in a daily driver? i've already read the sticky so im aware that for what i want stage one is better and replacing the springs would be best. I'm just looking to squeeze the most naturally aspired hp outta the 2v as possible. Would cams be too risky or extreme for a D.D. or does it not matter? Anyone that put stage ones in before: should i really consider replacing my heads and/or intake manifold as well to take full adv of the cams? Or would that be over doing it?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:45 PM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

i was gonna get cams right away untill i found out the install was more than the price of the cams!! so now im going through the debate to do patriot heads/comp cams at the same time or a kenne bell/vortech
Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 PM
johnr2001gt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rob.d

I vote for custom grinds. I am not impressed with the grinds for 2v stangs. You should pick your cam according to your end goals and heads. You should really get fimilar with term like SCR, DCR, VE,and overlap. Most shops steer away from custom grinds because they either stock about twenty stage one and stage two cams, or they don't know how to spec out a cam for a customer. A cusom grind should take into account boltons including gears, intake, weight of the car,exhaust, power adders, heads, power under the curve, and peak HP. It seems that most people on this forum pick the same cams because of lack of knowledge in this area. I would like to see people choose a custom grind and post up results from there own R&D. Of course you can aways pick a stage one cam and call it a day.
ORIGINAL: enrobriaffej

well I guess you should check out hitrch cams www.hitechmotorsport.com they have some awesome cams
Old 07-15-2008, 09:57 PM
DeltaV
3rd Gear Member

I have stage 2 CMS cams in my daily driver. It runs fine... it was 800 dollars in parts and i did the install myself. I like them... it does take some getting use to though!
Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Usually I am a fan of custom grinds, but I see little reason to go with one considering what his goals are. A stage 1 will be a nice bump in power, take out the annoying power falloff the stock cams have at 5500~ RPM, and be streetable. The stage 1s are made in mind for a boltons only car like he has.

Its just a matter of deciding if its worth the cost. If i had it to do over again I would have saved my money and done something else before the blower, like suspension or even the rearend/tires.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:00 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Usually I am a fan of custom grinds, but I see little reason to go with one considering what his goals are. A stage 1 will be a nice bump in power, take out the annoying power falloff the stock cams have at 5500~ RPM, and be streetable. The stage 1s are made in mind for a boltons only car like he has.

Its just a matter of deciding if its worth the cost. If i had it to do over again I would have saved my money and done something else before the blower, like suspension or even the rearend/tires.
what will stage 1s pull to man? will they get into the 5800 range?
Old 07-15-2008, 10:08 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

They peak around 5750.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:13 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

thats interesting, im glad to learn that about dd a cammed car. and yea thanks 2000gt4.6 i know its real pricey for the install (i believe my shop said 600 for install alone, not including tune). and i dont think thats something i would want to do myself. i just like the idea of n/a (not sure why). it will probably be a while before i dive into anything majorish like this, just wanted to get an idea for the future.

Quick Reply: What do u think about cams