4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How much boost can a stock 03 mustang GT take safely?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How much boost can a stock 03 mustang GT take safely?

Wow! Thank you so very much for taking time out to find that for me!!! It was short but informative!!!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: Dragonus18

What are all the bolt-ons I need? What about the cam? Do I have to upgrade to a bigger one or go dual cam? What do you mean?
you can do any of these mods, or none of them. The only difference is going to be the power level that you can achive safely.

You cannot have a 400+ WHP GT that is bone stock + blower kit. You can have a 400+ WHP GT that has full boltons and the blower kit.

Its all about how much money you want to spend and how much power you want to make. Both setups (stock/boltons etc) will be completely safe as long as you don't get stupid with the tune and keep it to a reasonable power level.

if you want specific advice on what to buy, post how much money you want to spend and how much power you want to make, along with the use of the car (dd, fun car only, etc).

Thanks a lot for the info. With the mods that I have already I should be good then right? Since 8lbs is safe for my car if I should get some forged internals then can I upgrade to more boost later if I choose? If it's possible then how much would the upgrade cost? Once again thank you for the help.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:38 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

If your motor has been well maintained 8 lbs of boost with a good tune should be fine. You should expect 350-370 rwhp. Adding more boost is mostly a matter of changing a pulley and getting a new tune. A 10 psi pulley should put you near 400 rwhp.If you put in forged internals and want to go higher, you might want to look beyond introductorylevel superchargers. Introductory level superchargers (such as my P1-SC) top out around 14 psi. So if you plan to go higher you need a higher capacity supercharger. You also need more fuel. Introductory supercharger kits come with 36 or 42 lbs injectors. You might need 60. As you increase boost you will need to go to a dual fuel pump system. You are also going beyondthe limits of your transmission and rear end. Both will have to be rebuilt. Even at 400 rwhp you have to upgrade your suspension with sub-frame connectors and upper an lower control arms to successfully get the power to the ground.

Unless you can do thework yourself, it takes around $8,000-10,000 to get to 400 rwhp. It takes a lot more to go higher.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:47 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Eagle2000GT

If your motor has been well maintained 8 lbs of boost with a good tune should be fine. You should expect 350-370 rwhp. Adding more boost is mostly a matter of changing a pulley and getting a new tune. A 10 psi pulley should put you near 400 rwhp.If you put in forged internals and want to go higher, you might want to look beyond introductorylevel superchargers. Introductory level superchargers (such as my P1-SC) top out around 14 psi. So if you plan to go higher you need a higher capacity supercharger. You also need more fuel. Introductory supercharger kits come with 36 or 42 lbs injectors. You might need 60. As you increase boost you will need to go to a dual fuel pump system. You are also going beyondthe limits of your transmission and rear end. Both will have to be rebuilt. Even at 400 rwhp you have to upgrade your suspension with sub-frame connectors and upper an lower control arms to successfully get the power to the ground.

Unless you can do thework yourself, it takes around $8,000-10,000 to get to 400 rwhp. It takes a lot more to go higher.
Holy cow!!!! Thanks for the reality check! I'm just looking to get to around 10psi If I can safely. If not then I'll have to settle for 8psi. I don't want to do all that extra work. I want a superhcarger but not THAT bad. Plus my pockets do have a limit. How much do you think it'll cost to just get to 10psi and can I do that safely hopefully without MAJOR engine work. I'm overall looking to spend about $5-6,000 with the supercharger and install being paid for. Is this a reasonable goal?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Yes that's reasonable for ancentrifical supercharger like Procharger or Vortech. You can get a Modular Power House Mongoose kit with a Vortech supercharger for $3,900. It does not come with an intercooler and it is highly recommended to have an intercooler for anything over 8 lbs of boost. Procharger comes with an intercooler about $4,500. Installation runs around $1,000. You might want some gages installed at time. I have a boost gage and a fuel pressure gage. I wish I had gotten a widebandA/F mixture gage instead of the fuel pressure though.

Mine cost me a little more because we had surprises during the install. The previous owner had installed underdrive pulleys that had to be replaced.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Eagle2000GT

Yes that's reasonable for ancentrifical supercharger like Procharger or Vortech. You can get a Modular Power House Mongoose kit with a Vortech supercharger for $3,900. It does not come with an intercooler and it is highly recommended to have an intercooler for anything over 8 lbs of boost. Procharger comes with an intercooler about $4,500. Installation runs around $1,000. You might want some gages installed at time. I have a boost gage and a fuel pressure gage. I wish I had gotten a widebandA/F mixture gage instead of the fuel pressure though.

Mine cost me a little more because we had surprises during the install. The previous owner had installed underdrive pulleys that had to be replaced.
The boost gauge is definately going in but why would I need a fuel pressure gauge? And what is this A/F mixture gauge? What is it's use?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Wideband A/F will tell you exactly what your air to fuel ratio is, so you can let out of the throttle if for whatever reason you start to lean out. Going lean when under boost causes detonation which is the leading cause of engine failure on stock bottom end 2v mustangs.

There is no set number that your engine is safe til. Every engine is different. Some give out at 350-370 and some run strong for years at over 400rwhp on the stock bottom. I will agree with 2000GT4.6 that the more supporting mods you have will allow your engine to produce the power easier. You would have to have a pretty sketchy tune to get a completely stock motor to hit 400rwhp at 10psi on pump gas. It wouldn't last for long like that.

Throw in a set of Blower cams and other supporting mods, then +400rwhp is not out of the question since you wouldn't have to run nearly as much timing or run it as lean to produce the same power.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbirdscwd

Wideband A/F will tell you exactly what your air to fuel ratio is, so you can let out of the throttle if for whatever reason you start to lean out. Going lean when under boost causes detonation which is the leading cause of engine failure on stock bottom end 2v mustangs.

There is no set number that your engine is safe til. Every engine is different. Some give out at 350-370 and some run strong for years at over 400rwhp on the stock bottom. I will agree with 2000GT4.6 that the more supporting mods you have will allow your engine to produce the power easier. You would have to have a pretty sketchy tune to get a completely stock motor to hit 400rwhp at 10psi on pump gas. It wouldn't last for long like that.

Throw in a set of Blower cams and other supporting mods, then +400rwhp is not out of the question since you wouldn't have to run nearly as much timing or run it as lean to produce the same power.
::ears raise up::
Blower cams!? Where can I get those and what are the supporting mods that I need!!!???
Old 07-22-2008, 08:42 AM
crewwolfy
2nd Gear Member

I've been doing some similar research on supercharging the stang. If you're not taking it to the track, and you plan to only use it on occasion, that Mongoose kit sounds like a solid choice. I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of the parts, and the exceptional (and safe) tune that comes along with it.

I think you're focusing a little too much on the number 10 for your psi. Sounds like you can easily get there after the 8 psi setup if you're not satisfied with that much boost. With 8 psi sounding much safer than 10 psi on a stock engine, I'd highly recommend ditching the attachment to the double digit boost level for the time being.

With a Mongoose kit and dyno check running about $4K (if you can install yourself), and if necessary, tune revision from MPH (free I assume?), you would have plenty of money left over for supporting mods, namely the rear suspension, stickier tires and perhaps an intercooler.

As you've said, you're new to the world of superchargers (as I will be). They call these introductory systems for a reason. And the bang-for-the-buck is very nice, especially if you're keeping it a daily driver. Can't fault you for wanting more, but if everyone's recommending 8psi and under 400rwhp, I think that'd be an excellent level to start at.

I have noticed you've asked for a list of supporting mods people would recommend. Aside from the full exhaust you already have, and the rear suspension and tires to get the power to the tarmac, I'm not sure what to recommend. Anyone else have suggestions on specific support mods?

Edit: Oops, forgot cams have been mentioned too.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:33 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: crewwolfy

I've been doing some similar research on supercharging the stang. If you're not taking it to the track, and you plan to only use it on occasion, that Mongoose kit sounds like a solid choice. I've heard nothing but good things about the quality of the parts, and the exceptional (and safe) tune that comes along with it.

I think you're focusing a little too much on the number 10 for your psi. Sounds like you can easily get there after the 8 psi setup if you're not satisfied with that much boost. With 8 psi sounding much safer than 10 psi on a stock engine, I'd highly recommend ditching the attachment to the double digit boost level for the time being.

With a Mongoose kit and dyno check running about $4K (if you can install yourself), and if necessary, tune revision from MPH (free I assume?), you would have plenty of money left over for supporting mods, namely the rear suspension, stickier tires and perhaps an intercooler.

As you've said, you're new to the world of superchargers (as I will be). They call these introductory systems for a reason. And the bang-for-the-buck is very nice, especially if you're keeping it a daily driver. Can't fault you for wanting more, but if everyone's recommending 8psi and under 400rwhp, I think that'd be an excellent level to start at.

I have noticed you've asked for a list of supporting mods people would recommend. Aside from the full exhaust you already have, and the rear suspension and tires to get the power to the tarmac, I'm not sure what to recommend. Anyone else have suggestions on specific support mods?

Edit: Oops, forgot cams have been mentioned too.
Wow! I never realized how right you are. The are introductory and yeah, I was focusing on on 10 psi a little too much. The reason being is because now-a-days manufacturors are coming out with all these high horsepower cars. The new mustang GT has 300hp stock. Just about all new dodge cars like the magnum, and others have more hp then what my model does. Not to mention my father bought a new honda accord and that thing come with 260hp and it's just a V6!!! Mines is a V8 and I have the same hp numbers!!!The other problem is that I don't like getting the bottom model and when I went to procharger.com this was the second model that was available for my car which could range from 8-10psi. Can the other cars I mentioned beat me stock?

Quick Reply: How much boost can a stock 03 mustang GT take safely?