4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Another boring bolt-on post.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:45 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Another boring bolt-on post.

Headers will help the most on the exhaust part.

Just get the car..drive it and get to feel it and what you dont like. THEN you'll be able to spend your money more wisely that us just telling you lol.

oh and learn to drive the 5 speed...go to a parking lot or field and just practice..its not hard at all..i gurantee in 30 minute you'll have it down. i learned when i was 6.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:04 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

honestly... take your 1000 bucks and get a used vortech supercharger head unit off ebay! if speed is what you want forget about most bolt-ons. i wish i would have listened to everyone who told me this when i first bought mine. im out of at least 3000 and only about .5 seconds off my quarter mile. gears will prob hurt gas mileage the worst. but if you drive 55 on the highway at all times, you'll get over 20mpg (maybe 25ish) and offset any bolt-ons! the reason i say spend ur money on a head unit...is because you can get every other part you would need to supercharge it for $700 shipped (brand new) and a used head unit for 700-1200. minus supporting mods. check out this sticky in the pipes, boost and juice section https://mustangforums.com/m_3332042/tm.htm. i wish i could start over in ur place, i would def go this route!
Old 07-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

I pretty much agree 100% with you pound for pound, dollar for dollar....the SC is the way to go for great speed. However, I never intend to try to maximize this car's potential. Why? I'm 19 and this will be my daily driver for hopefully AT LEAST another 7 years. Theres absolutely no way in hell I could ever be able to handle something on the car breaking money wise. Throwing a supercharger on a TOTALLY stock engine can pretty much guarantee unwarranted extra wear on my engine. Not only that, getting even this bargain project done it will cost me $500(50 hours of work for me) more than my current project budget. Then we have to think about the fact that this setup isn't even inter-cooled. And the ebay thing really really scares me away, never know when youl get an absolute dud of a part and end up being ****ed on it. All in all, what i'm saying is its a shot in the dark for my situation. It will take a lot of maybes and ifs to come together right for this to work out successfully. I mean.......I trust your expertise and knowledge far above my own. If I WERE going to try to turn this thing into a beast, youd be the type of person I would go to. In the end I dont really see all of the following happening right: Buy all parts for said budget($1500) that work and have no defects. Paying for labor for install(i'm not even gonna TRY to put a supercharger on myself). Put this supercharger on 100% stock internals and stock exhaust system. And then have it be a good daily driver for at least another 7 years?

I have many years ahead of me to get the chance to really really build a nice Mustang, and don't worry...it will be happening

Btw, is that a Weimaraner in your avatar? If not what kind of dog is it?

Old 07-24-2008, 06:45 PM
enrobriaffej
3rd Gear Member

alot of the stock svt cobras are daily driven with a supercharger. stock block, head and internals are normal for -10 psi! it wont mess with your mpg much, like i said if you do 55 or even 50on a reg basis, you'll have no complaints outta the v8's mpg. Most people will say if your good with maintenence and take care of your car and supercharger, then all you can expect is the normal wear and tear, which all cars go through. additionally, run 8 or 6psi and and your risking even less, which wouldn't even need to be intercooled! and imo a 6psi mustang isn't near a beast. in the sticky the poster listed 3 different sites to geta head unit from not just ebay, you can also check the classified on here or other mustang forums. even if(god forbid) you do get a bad head unit, you can send it to vortech for a complete rebuild (around $300) or to a local shop (around $150-2). all of this info is in the sticky i posted, i feel like im plagurizing. if your like everyone else when you do a few mods....get bored...do a few more....get bored....etc. supercharger is Definately the way to go! you wont have to keep modding, in the end it will be cheaper and produce WAY more power. just my opionion though. i wish i would have read that before i put the first modification on my car!

no hes a pure lab (puppy)
Old 07-24-2008, 06:52 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

I understand about the supercharger, that is the reason y i bought Nitrous. It is on when you want it to be on and it is less wear than a supercharger. Plus yea 5 speed might be more fun to drive, but a 3000 stall converter, j mod, will make any auto faster than any manual. There is no way to shift as fast. Dynotune nitrous, $400, Gears 3:73 150 + 150install. Your at $700. JMOD 60 + 100 install, you are ar 850. Gears take off .3 - .5 off a 1/4 mile time. 100 shot of Nitrous takes off 1.3 - 1.4 seconds off a 1/4 mile. There is easily a low 12 second recipie. With weight reduction you can make it into the high 11's. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

what is a "3000 stall converter"?

I hear ya on the supercharger, my mouth salivates thinking about one. But its just too much of a stretch for me, right now. Not only that to be honest i'm not entirely sure I even want THAT MUCH power, atleast not yet.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:39 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

i havnt read what anyone put on here, im just gonna add what i have to say.

i have spend upwards of 5-6k on my 2v(a gt is a 2v motor) and about 3k of it on performance stuff.

i have full bolt-ons +gears+ tune was it worth all the money, i think so.
i have bought pretty much everything because i had 100% assurance of quality.

my mods:
Pypes SS long tube headers
Pypes SS o/r(off-road) h pipe
SLP LM2 Catback
Tunable induction cai(i tuned it into a ram air intake because of TONS of rain lol)
K&N filter
Accufab 70mm tb/plenum combo(i went 70 for a reason... if you want to know why pm me)
Steeda Tri-ax shifter
FRPP 4.10 rear end gear
roush lower control arms
tokico bullitt shock/struts
Kenny brown strut tower brace
Sniper Special Forces Tuned(by me)

Working on Stage 1 Hitech cams..maybe another month or so

with a set of good tires(wich i lack) this setu-p is PLENTY for most ppl on the road.. with the cams i will be somewhere around 285-290 to the rear wheels.. thats a lot of power IMO..(im 19 like you BTW)

EDIT: but my car is not complete yet.. i still need
eibach anti-roll kit
FRPP c springs
new wheels/tires
31 spline rear end
FRPP lightweight driveshaft
full length subframes

after that.... im pretty much gonn be rollin in a go-kart lol.. my verts gonna ride on rails
Old 07-24-2008, 07:41 PM
jwarner0297
4th Gear Member

If you are just doing bolt ons and want a little more power then do that. SC are def the way to go, however if i could go back i would do gears first and if you are worried about MPGs then do 3.73s thats what I will do after I get some tires in the next month or 2.
now for mpg's bolt ons will increase them cause they are making your engine more efficient. Its like ifyou ran everyday,how easy would it be for you to walk distance or go up stairs? its the same with intake and exhaust your motor willinhale and exhale better
Old 07-24-2008, 10:42 PM
warriorofice
1st Gear Member

Any day i'd start with the cat back and mid pipes. go with your exhaust first, you'll love your new great sounding car and you won't be able to stop driving it on your way back home, you'll make a detour...lol.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: warriorofice

Any day i'd start with the cat back and mid pipes. go with your exhaust first, you'll love your new great sounding car and you won't be able to stop driving it on your way back home, you'll make a detour...lol.

weaksauce... go with gears first then exhaust..

Quick Reply: Another boring bolt-on post.