4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

turbo, vortech, and kb 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:54 PM
mntraynum

Default turbo, vortech, and kb 4.6

hey i was looking around on the net and i came across this picture, does any one think this could actually be done, and if so who would be brave enough to try it. personaly i dont think so but i could be wrong.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:56 PM
mntraynum

Default RE: turbo, vortech, and kb 4.6

i dont think this was actually done, maybe just for looks, but it looks cool.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:04 PM
BostonBruins 2003GT
1st Gear Member

ive seen TT kits pumping into a KB before, but never with a vortech inbetween....from what I understand, compound boost is incredibly efficient, and i think it was an 04 cobra with a TT hellion kit and a ported eaton, in the mid 20s boost range, making ridiculously high power....I think they said, compound boost produces less stress on the engine than a single power-adder at the same psi...

reasonable though?....just think about the pricetag of the parts needed alone...haha
Old 07-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Fuel
4th Gear Member

looks to me like maybe it was just set up like that at a show to show everyone all of the types of power adders that that merchant sold or something allong those lines. I would think that someone would install it all together, if that ramble made sense to anyone
Old 07-28-2008, 06:37 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BostonBruins 2003GT

ive seen TT kits pumping into a KB before, but never with a vortech inbetween....from what I understand, compound boost is incredibly efficient, and i think it was an 04 cobra with a TT hellion kit and a ported eaton, in the mid 20s boost range, making ridiculously high power....I think they said, compound boost produces less stress on the engine than a single power-adder at the same psi...

reasonable though?....just think about the pricetag of the parts needed alone...haha
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...bra/index.html
Old 07-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Jcelli04
2nd Gear Member

i think a lot of the problems they were having with that dual power adder add is that the HP twin turbo kit can flow way more than that eaton and the eaton was actually slowing down the air velocity.

The idea of dual power adders makes complete sense if you know anything about thermodynamics. air is a compressible fluid, and that means you can compress it. Theres no real limit you can compress it, but the more you compress it the more heat you create. That is often a problem with any boost application.

I'd be willing to bet with a KB 2.8 or a whipple 3.4 and HP twin 67s or something big like that along with some crazy flowing heads and all the other necessary components you could see 2000horsepower or more
Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BostonBruins 2003GT

yeah it was a bone stock cobra other than a bassani cat back making like 1100 horsepower or something like that. insane.
yeah i don't think that would be possible, the motor in that pic obviously isn't right anyways theres no pipes going from the turbo to the superchargers. i think what was stated above is right, that a vendor just set it up to show what they sold.
none the less it does look totally bad a$$!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

i wouldnt personally run a compound set up because i believe the supercharger is just a restriction in the path of the already capable flowing turbos, and the supercharger is also just another load on the crankshaft at that point. ive seen the dyno graphs of the compound versus taking the supercharger off and just running turbos and it doesnt look worth it to me to have a little flatter curve compared to much larger turbo only numbers.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:59 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Overkill, plain and simple
Old 07-28-2008, 11:53 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I've thought about maybe running a compound setup with a KB and the Hellion kit, but what's shown above, I can't see going well. First, you'd be running two blowers, major loss off the crank. Also, I believe a twin screw blower is known for pulling full boost very early, and the centris are a bit more linear. Is there a possibility that in midrange power you could create a vacuum between the two blowers? And is there any damage that could occur because of it? Either way, no need for that many power adders.

Quick Reply: turbo, vortech, and kb 4.6