4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MGW shifter stops

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:55 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default MGW shifter stops

So I purchased an MGW shifter from stangmods and it has finally arrived. It is missing the gaskets which is really annoying me because I'd like to install it ASAP. I emailed stangmods so i'll wait and see what they say.

Meanwhile, I went through the installation instructions to get an idea on what I have ahead of me and I realized that they kept emphasizing that the stop bolts are not necessary especially on trannys like the 3650 because Tremec already incorporated an integrated one. It also says in the instructions that Tremec recommends not to use it because improper use can cause serious damage. So my question is, is it still worth using it? I mean get the point about making sure theres enough room for the shift to reach the gears entirely and etc, so if I MAKE SURE it's all good, will it be ok? I just think it will be comforting to have more protection.

Also, this is gonna be the first install of anything i've done to my car so are there any tips anyone could share?

Oh and lastly, I ordered a FRPP shift **** and I tried screwing it onto the new shift handle, and it fits fine except there is still extra thread left on the handle. Should I buy a washer and put that underneath it or should I just leave it?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 07-29-2008, 01:07 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Default RE: MGW shifter stops

the shifters dont come with gaskets. they come with some rtv sealant which basically is the gasket.

if you have integrated shift stops in your tranny then there really is no need for the shift stops on the shifter.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

+1 No gasket. RTV sealant. I believe most of the guys with 3650 transmission just take out the shifter stops.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

No I bought it from stangmods and theyare suppose to giveyou a gasket with it...

Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StriderTacticaL

No I bought it from stangmods and theyare suppose to giveyou a gasket with it...

Do not use the shift stops, everything I've ever read/heard says not to use them with the 3650 because it already has beefy internal stops.
And don't bother with the stangmods gasket, it's a piece of crap, the bolt holes were not even close to lining up on mine so I just used the RTV that came with it.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:43 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Oh ok. Well stangmods emailed me and said they would send me the gaskets so i'll just see how they fit. If they really don't then I'll use the sealant that is already provided.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:29 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Oh and also these internal 3650 stop bolts....are they actually gonna be sufficient enough to protect you during power shifting and etc?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:39 AM
art02gt
3rd Gear Member

As for tips on the instal, it's pretty straight forward. Just take the current shifter off and bolt on the new one. When I did my install, the hardest part was removing the stock shifter from the transmission. It's stuck on there pretty good, you can use a pry bar and pry it from the sides. Good luck. (My MGW came with two extra nuts,which that I used to take up the extra thread on the handle)
Old 07-30-2008, 03:51 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

A weakness of the T-45 was weak internal shift stops. Tremec corrected this in the 3650, there is no need to use the shift stops on the MGW or any other shifter with the 3650.[/align][/align]I plugged the holes with 3/8-16 x 3/8" button head SS cap screwsone of whichcan be seen in this photo...[/align][/align][/align]
Old 07-30-2008, 05:36 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Oh ok. I guess I won't be using the stops then...makes my install just a bit easier...

Do I have to clean out that red stuff inside the shifter?

Thanks,
Brandon

Quick Reply: MGW shifter stops