4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Performance Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 12:07 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Performance Tires

275s are the biggest tire for factory rims, and the crown, meaning the contact patch is not as flat as a 265. I have heard of anything bigger then a 255 will rub in front with the factory rims.

My vote are for Goodyear GSD-3s, They run wide so a 275 crowns more then normal. I run 255 out back and 245 up front and have no issues.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:04 PM
JHonor
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2002 GT convertible with Y2k Cobra R wheels (9.5 wide) and 265/35/18s in front and 275/35/18s in the rear. They do not rub and the 275s would have fit. The only thing that happens on my car is that the wheel will hit the control arm if it is hard over for 3 point turns or something. But when it was first done, they didn't touch even then; I'd imagine the alignment has gone some. I also know a guy with 285s on Steeda 9.5 inch rims in front and he doesn't have any issues with rubbing either, unless the wheel is on its lock. I currently have Pirelli PZero Neros on all fours. They are ok, but 18 inch wheels suck for trying to get outta the hole anyway. I've also had the Goodyear GS-D3 with the A-tread. Those were great, especially in the rain, and I got them to hook well on the street. I haven't been to the track so I can't help you there. Hope this helps.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:54 AM
MaSTi
2nd Gear Member

Don't know much about stang wheel sizes, but as far as TIRES......my vote goes to the KDWs. I had stock Potenzas on my STi that were great in dry, but even AWD in rain was bad. The KDWs are awesome and have minimal wear. I say go with the KDWs!!!
Old 05-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S were rated best overall at Tire Rack. Nitto 555's are fine for awhile but wear out real fast. Good handling both wet and dry with the Pirelli's and they have a respectable treadwear rating. One thing to watch out for is heavy cornering right out of the shoot with these tires. They need to be scuffed up a bit to break the new tire compound seal so to speak. After awhile they will seem like night and day. Go easy at very first. The tires and road "will come to you" as NASCAR describes it.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:47 PM
nathanoj

Sumitomo htrz 2's are cheap, great traction in the dry and wet of Fla. but suck in the Florida snow. Wear is decent, depending on driver maintenance, relatively quiet, and did I mention cheap
Old 05-11-2005, 05:04 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

First of all, 99-04 Saleens came with 255/35/18's in front and 265/35/18's in back. If the car had the tire upgrade option or was an S281E, it had 265/35/18's in front and 295/35/18's in back. The tire I recommend for you is the Bridgestone SO2. Phenononal dry performance, and good wet performance for an 'all dry' tire. Having had a lot of personal experience with them, It sounds like they will give you what you want in a tire. If you were going to Perelli, I would go with the Rosso's ovewr the Nero's. The Nero's are coming stock on the 05 gt's and aren't very performance oriented. The KDW's are good tires, but they won't do as well in the dry as the SO2's. BTW, the SO2 is not a drag oriented tire, it is a more all out performance tire. I've got an 05 S281E coming in June with Rosso's. As soon as they are done, I will go back to SO2's.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

BFG KDW's, great all around tire. I don't think there is a tire that can beat it for the price.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:25 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I have some nitto 555s. the first 1000 miles they didn't grab the road that well, kind of felt floaty with a real gentle ride but after ~5000 miles, they seem much better and grippier.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

I have been thinking of sticking with 245's now, so that I don't have to purchase new wheels yet. I really want to keep the option of being able to rotate the tires for now, seeing that I will be driving it quite a bit until this winter. I am going to be getting these tires, and then start on suspension work. I think some better tires over the stock Goodyears will provide phenomenal grip and will give me just what I'm looking for until I store it for the winter and am able to go with Drag Radials and a 10.5" rim for next year.

At the moment, it's come down to these two tires. The new Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's seem to be a fantastic tire, both for the price and functionality. With the Bridgestone's that Birdieman4 kindly suggested being a bit more expensive, but slightly better in grip. By the way, how is the tread life on those S-03's?

Bridgestone Potenza SO3 Pole Position

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

I would like to go with a larger size tire any way that I can, does anyone know what size tire can fit on the stock 2002' Mustang GT wheels? I have the graphite bullitt wheels, and am uncertain what size they are (8" or 8.5"...?). Anyone know a site I can visit to verify this information?
Old 05-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

SO3's have a treadwear rating of 220, which is decent. Butm th SO3's are a combo dry/wet tire. As far as wet performance, they are excellent. But in the dry they are just ok. They put more silica in the coumpound which helps in the wet, but makes them more slippery in the dry. The KDW is a similar tire, but I think the KDW's do better in the dry than the SO3's, but not by much. The SO2's aren't that expensive, not anywhere near the Goodyear F1's or the Michelin pilot sports. So'2 will do better in the rain than the KD's and better in the dry than the KD's. The KDW's do better in the wet than the SO2's, but in the dry the SO'2 are A LOT better than the KDW's.

Quick Reply: Performance Tires