4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Performance Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Default Performance Tires

I'm looking into getting new tires. What I'm looking for is excellent dry traction, cornering stability, steering response, and somewhat decent wet traction. The car will never see another winter, so snow traction is of no concern. I have been looking at tires for quite some time now, and can't decide which to choose from. I want to go 275/45/17 all the way around. Unless 285's will fit in the front, then 285's all the way around.

Tire Rack has proven to be quite helpful, but I would like some more professional places that review tires before making an educated decision. Again, I'm looking for something with excellent cornering grip, adequate tread life, and somewhat decent wet traction.

Any ideas?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:03 AM
nailman28
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Performance Tires

nt-555
Old 05-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

...but I would like some more professional places that review tires before making an educated decision

Just suggesting a tire won't do it, I need reviews, educated opinions, personal experiences,etc...

Thanks!

Some tires that I have been looking into... Any other suggestions with comments are greatly appreciated!

Perelli P-Zero Nero M+S
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ero+Nero+M%26S

BF Goodrich TA-KDW2
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ce+T%2FA+KDW+2
Old 05-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Master
3rd Gear Member

why go with such a fat meaty front tire??? you read reviews on that yet?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:40 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Why not?

Heh, the point of this post is to gather information that will help making my purchase easier and get educated in the process.

So my question is....

Why NOT go with a fat meaty front tire, is there a way that it will hinder cornering stability and handling in any way?

I haven't see anything that will suggest that it would. Please show me a link or somewhere that says it will before I make the wrong decision. I am open to anyone who is knowledgeable in tires to give any good suggestions and comments. But this isn't helping a bit!
Old 05-10-2005, 12:59 AM
Phillyblunt474
2nd Gear Member

Well i have some nitto 555r's and they are pretty good for tractions off the line and such. I really dont get much into the "james bond" like driving and weaving through corners and traffic so i cant comment on hard conering.

Most people tend to go with a larger tire in back and smaller in front to increase traction on the launch in teh back and remove resistance in the front with smaller tires
Old 05-10-2005, 01:07 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I was planning on going with 305's Nitto NT555 Drag Radials out back. But the thing is, they have horrible tread life and wet traction. They are superb when heated up and also for dry traction in drag racing. The only thing is, I rarely ever drag race. I would be getting the tires for looks only, which is great...but for everyday practical use?

I absolutely LOVE the look of the 305's out back, but how is the practicality of everyday driving? Right now, I drive quite a bit and love a "spirited" ride every now and then. I'm just not convinced that going with the Nitto's would be the best choice if I rarely do any drag racing at the moment. I am buying another car for winter when the winter months are close, and garaging this car permanently. I may get into drag-racing more at that time, I may not.

What do you guys think?

NItto NT555 Drag Radials-

How do they handle in the rain?

How are they in normal street use?

How is the tread life?

Again, thanks guys! Please keep em' coming!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:11 AM
00GT00
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quickshift_02GT

Why not?

Heh, the point of this post is to gather information that will help making my purchase easier and get educated in the process.

So my question is....

Why NOT go with a fat meaty front tire, is there a way that it will hinder cornering stability and handling in any way?

I haven't see anything that will suggest that it would. Please show me a link or somewhere that says it will before I make the wrong decision. I am open to anyone who is knowledgeable in tires to give any good suggestions and comments. But this isn't helping a bit!

275's will fit all around. If it matters the Saleen SC/E came with 275's. Most would consider a Saleen the 'handling bar.' There is a lot of info on the interweb, you just have to look.

Edit: Forgot to add you will use 275/40/17 not /45/.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:21 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Ah yes, I meant 40. Thanks man!

A person from another forum also questioned my reasoning for going with 275's all all the way around, and claimed that doing so will hurt front traction. He claimed that on cornering it will cause the front tires to slide, losing grip. It doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever, but thought I would bring it to the table anyway. Anyone heard of this before? Of course, I didn't think about the Saleen's coming with them stock either...

What are your feelings on the Nittos?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:52 AM
sfi
3rd Gear Member

I have 275/40/17 BFG G-Force on my fronts. The grip excellent around corners. I've had them on for almost 2 years now. Wear is minimal. 275 are the biggest you can put on your fronts if you have 17x8. Thats from Belle Tire. The only downfall to tires this big is they pull you into every rut in the road. But traction around corners or highway sppeds is great.

Quick Reply: Performance Tires