4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Check Engine Help... PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:09 PM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

Default Check Engine Help... PLEASE!!

Recently i swapped out my o/r x for my stock h pipe so i can pass emissions. I have mils that i use with my o/r x so that my CEL stays off. Well after putting my x pipe back on the CEL came on. I went to advanced auto and it said all the o2s. So i cleared it and then it just came on today, 3 days after i just cleared it. I called americanmuscle.com and told them and i guess mils were banned by the government now and i was told to get a tune. Just wondering if their is a way to check, or mess around with the o2s incase the front left and right are switched and in wrongs spots or same situation for the rears. I am 100% positive the rears are in the rear and the fronts in the right spot, im not sure if the left or right ones are in the correct spot, but i dont think it should matter. anything i can do, check, or fix before i go and spend 350 on a tuner. thanks guys

Zach
Old 07-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Check Engine Help... PLEASE!!

Well go back and get the codes again.
Although the rears are color coded, and have diffrent part numbers at the dealer, they are both the same and part stores such as napa and advance give you the same part number for both rear sensors.

The fronts i'm not too sure of.
Sometimes it's 50/50 with 02 sensors.. when their removed after not being messed around with for a while they like to fail sometimes.. but damn, not all 4 of them.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:15 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

You can't swap the front o2 sensor's. The Left and Right banks have different connectors, and are color coded green and blue i believe and purple forboth the rear o2's. Do you remember what the codes were?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:21 PM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

its was all 4. but understand i had the mils so that has to shut them off. that is why im wondering if it mattered if the front left and right had to be exact. they worked fine up until i threw my stock midpipe back on. when i did, i left the milds on and just hooked it all back up. then like i said put my x back on and the CEL came on. Ima go to advanced tmrw and talk to them and see. the mils were in fine shape and i hardly ever drive the car so..

if i remember right it was banks 1 and 2 for the fronts and the rear. it was a total of 4 codes. so i cleared it, haven't driven the car since and just drove it today for 15 minutes and it came back on. would disconnecting the battery help?? or is that the same as clearing the code at advanced??
Old 07-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

The rears are color coded purple and blue also, but they are the same.

Understand thatthe MILs only work If the rear sensors are functioning. Bad sensor = useless MIL.
If what your saying is correct, Either all these sensors failed, or you screwed up the install and now the wires for the 02 sensor are burnt on the exhaust.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 PM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

if they were open now id run over for ya man. i dont remember but ill head over tmrw and check to see what its throwing this time. so hypothetically what are my options gonna be. possible bad o2? should i try cleaning the end of the o2 with something?? tuner is a last resort. it just seems so f uckin weird that they worked until i simply swapped out my midpipe for a total of 11 hours lol only to put my x back in
Old 07-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

Well at this point, even the tunerwon't help you. IIRC, the tuner only shuts off the Rear sensors.
Maybe its possible the exhaust burnt the wiring?
Lets get the code and their numbers and we'll work from there.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 PM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

Alright. Sounds like a plan. Thanks so much for your help man. Have a good night and i will keep you posted as soon as i get the codes tmrw. should i have them clear it or no??? let me know and ill talk to you tomorrow
Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

umm..yea have em' clear it, and make sure you get the codes.
Goooood night
Old 07-29-2008, 10:38 PM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

will do. thanks again

Quick Reply: Check Engine Help... PLEASE!!