4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default RE: PLEASE HELP

ORIGINAL: blackstallion666

I wouldn'thave thedealer make these repairs since for alot of them you could easily do them on your own and save a few bucks. Just make yourself a list of problems with your car and take care of them one at a time. Also for the abs sensor you can save yourself the money and install it yourself. It will take a whole 15 minutes at most. And for the steeda guages are they an overlay kit. Maybe the needle was installed wrong when they were installed. And for your steering wheel play check your steering shaft under the dash were shaft slides at. There known for wearing out at that point and causing slop. Also for your filling issue when gas leaked out from under the car. Iv'e replaced a few filler necksat work were they rust out at the bottom. The little protective cover on the bend that goes to the tank holds water and cuases it to rust out, and if you replace itspend the extra cash and get a filler neck seal while you there.
Yeah well what is this they are telling me about freakin Axle seals?? wtf? Idk it scares me because I have no idea what the heck an axle seal is. They said that the wheel speed sensor was crushed...
Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

The axle seals are at the end of each axle tube. Its bit of a project to replace. Its not that its hard but you have to remove the rear caliper's,brakets,rotors,abs sensor's and open the rear diff and remove the center pin so you can remove the c clips to pull the axles to replace them.
And for the sensor beingcrushed.I dont know how it was crushed but its a simple fix like i said itwould only take about 15 minutes to replace. all you need is a e8 torx. Which is an inverted torx socket for the bolt that holds it inplace. Then a pair of channel locks and screw driver to wiggle the old sensor out.And follow the wire to the connector. and install your new sensor. I mean I'm nottrying to tell you what to do butif you don't feelcomfortable doing the work yourself. I'm positive if you ask around you could find a local shop that won't donk you over the head like the dealer seems like there doing to you now. And actually save a few bucks in the end.
Also just an idea I dont know if you have gears yet but if you have someone install gears. They will be right there and could install axle seals and the abs sensor while its apart.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

I have looked at pictures of the axle seal and I know what ur talking about now.. How much are gears and how much to install do you think?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

It really depends on the shop and location. Many people get different prices. I would say anywhere from 250-450 installed.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

How much for the actual gears usually is it?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
mustangman03
3rd Gear Member

Boy yalls ford dealer is high at $90 hr ours here is $60 hr. Gears range in price from $150 & up but he is right it would be a good time to put them in while youre there.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

What is a good set to go with? 3.73's or 4.10's? I do mostly city driving.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

I'm looking at this:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/fopege4ra.html

should I get the "installation kit" and the "master bearing kit"??
Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Also, if you put in new gear and pinion or whatever, what else do you have to upgrade?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

get the master bearing kit. It has everything from the installation kit plus the bearings but your still going to need axle seals. And if your not planing on doing a supercharger setup anytime soon i would go 4:10's. But call around and tell them what you want done first before you comite to buying gears just yet. Also your speedo will be off and have to be recalibrated unless you get the gear kit that they have that comes with the fluid and a speed cal.