4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

AH HAH!! COMMON SENSE!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default AH HAH!! COMMON SENSE!!

I think I may have found out why my temperature guage does not work! The idiot who had my car before me put in Aftermarket white face Steeda Gauges. For the longest time, the temperature guage did not work correctly.. but everything else did. Okay, I know the gauge is functional, just not accurate.. because it reads super freakin hot when it should be reading in the middle.. Ford already tested the temp to be normal at 192 degrees. Anyway though.. it works.. so I knew it was at least hooked up.

So, just like 5 minutes ago I was trying to figure out why it didnt work and then I figured I would use common sense. I turned off the car completely and let the thing sit until everything cooled off and everything.. then I took the key out and looked at the gauges. EVERY guage goes to wayyy below the bottom line (such as, the fuel amount goes wayy past E.. the battery goes wayy past below, and same with the oil pressure and all that. Okay but I looked at the temperature gauge and it was at like.. 1/5 of the way from Cold to Hot (excluding the space after the lines) im talkin line to line.. it was about 1/5 of the way up.. so a little past Cold. I guess that is it's RESTING position? Or am I wrong?

SOOO.. what im concluding here is that this particular gauge just needs to be recalibrated but how?? It's a 2000 Mustang GT 5 speed.. and I have never taken off the face guages so idk how to set these things... THANK YOU GUYS.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default RE: AH HAH!! COMMON SENSE!!

Anyone know how to calibrate these..?
Old 08-02-2008, 11:13 AM
maxersloan
2nd Gear Member

do you like them a lot? if you dont then a very simple fix would be to take them out haha
Old 08-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

True, but I actually like them. Plus, OEM is expensive.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:53 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Evenexchange

the steeda gaugesshould just be a white face overlay. not the whole unit.

just remove the overlay.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:39 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you need to reposition the needle. You need to see where the needle rests in a stock mustang and then remove yours and reinstall it in the correct position. Of course, you'll have to remove the gauge lens to do it, but I would think that is not too difficult. Personally, I don't know; I've never done it.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:07 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

Yea your going to have to reposition the needle. Your going to have to remove the cluster and then remove the lense. now remove the temp needle by pull it straight off. now reconnect the cluster and allow the car to fully warmup. Now reinstall the needle. remember not to press it all the way down and to leave a small gap so the needle can move. and then reinstall everything as removed.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:48 PM
maxersloan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 945LSTANG

ORIGINAL: Evenexchange

the steeda gaugesshould just be a white face overlay. not the whole unit.

just remove the overlay.
yeah all it is is an overlay between the oem gauges and the needles... if you remove it, the needle that is messed up might automatically go back to normal... the overlay might just be keeping it from getting back to stock position
Old 08-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Well here's what I ended up doing:

I took out the entire cluster itself, took off all the screws and the lense. The needles obviousely, you can't take off the actual faceplate without first removing the faceplate first.. I read that you need a special tool to take off the needles? How is the best way to take off these needles? By the way.. I tried to move the temperature needle to the very far left, and it kept drifting back once I let go.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:41 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Unless you don't like the overlay, leave it and the other needles alone. Don't force the needle over to the left or you could damage the gauge! You need to remove the temp needle and then re-install it in the proper location. I don't know about a special tool.

Quick Reply: AH HAH!! COMMON SENSE!!