4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just put on KYB adjustables

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default Just put on KYB adjustables

I just put on my KYB 8-point adjustable shocks (pair) and lowered the car back to the ground. Okay.. now. Look at these pictures of the old shock and then the new shock. Notice the rubber bushings where the shock meets near the wheel.. the new KYB's didnt come with anything for that. I can't pry out the old bushings or anything and even if I did.. they wouldnt do anything becasue they are too small.

These are the old shock's bottoms:
http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/2706/img4253uc3.jpg

And these are the new shock's bottoms:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2433/img4256fx8.jpg

Okay, I'm sure you guys know what i'm reffering to but everyone else I describe it to doesnt for whatever reason. I realize there is a bushing in the actual new shock itself, that has the bolt slide through.. and that bushing-bolt fit is snug. Do some performance shocks just not require these side-bushings? Please help!

By the way I took the car for a small ride shortly, everything seems fine.. im just wondering about long term. Thanks guys.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Just put on KYB adjustables

Also, why are the new ones bleeding like that?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Sorry, correction, they arent bleeding at all. Dry as a desert... just looked like that in the picture because my camera's flash is crazy bright. I felt the sides and everywhere around it by hand and it was fine.. no fluid =)
Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

you'll be alright. This is just manufacturer variety. Dffrent shocks have diffrent designs. Looking at that KYB piece, it doesn't look like there is any way to fit a bushing around it. I can't imagine it making any noise

If you pay attention to the design, you'll see that the whole design of the lower portion of that shock is diffrent to stock.
The stock piece looks like it needed bushings because it fit snug and took up all the room between the bolts; The KYBs have a little diffrent design. The edges of the lower portion of the shock has protrusionsand a bolt and nutsecures it, ensuring atight, noise freeoperation. I like the bearing idea better, but these don't wear out and i'm sure they do the jobjustfine.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Awesome, thanks man. Yeah, I figured it was normal operation for this shock because nothing was even included for that. Plus, I re-used the stock bushing for the mount that comes through the trunk (the bushing that seperates the top of the shock with the trunk floor) the one they gave me was enormous and I couldn't catch the thread on the bolt as it came up through the trunk.. lol I saw no harm in doing it.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Btw.. what's a good setup for the front and back? the front are 4 point adjustable and the back are 8-point. I am running 2 and 4 right now.. any suggestions for the best (not too firm, not too soft) ride?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:21 AM
avlon06
5th Gear Member

what kind of performance you looking for? drag or autox/road racing?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Just typical driving mostly around town. The roads around here are pretty bumpy occasionally, and have a few dips.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Mine are usualy at 1 front and 1 rear (soft) for everyday. If I go to Test and tune (1/4 mile) I leave it that way. When I do AutoXing I set them at 4 front and 8 rear (stiff). there realy is no not to soft with these shocks it's either Not so hard or Hard.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

I see... well.. any other opinions on those bushings that this topic was originally about??

Quick Reply: Just put on KYB adjustables